The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Da fuq? This guy’s the son of He Who Shall Not Be Mentioned.

Tell me more,, anyway,,,just looking to see what I typed last night, thought my stream of consciousness was pretty coherent for Friday night.

Wtf? The rainwater cistern broken?

City boy's understanding of infrastructure?...though my brother on Maui does have a cistern.

Nope, that inside joke is lost on me. Hubby was going to us drive up, then drive us to a hotel for an overnight afterwards, because the whole drunk driving thing would suck. Well, there's always next year.

Meanwhile, on amity island, this weekend being one of the last crescendos of summer traffic and desperate vacationer stupidity, I chose to remain in yard today and finish adding electric brewing adaptations to my kettles.
IMG_1292.JPG
IMG_1287.JPG
IMG_1290.JPG

Hurricane season is coming, so decided to load test a generator with brew kettle. I could not be more pleased with the results. 4500W, 240 V, got 14 gallons from 70F to boil in less than an hour. This unit uses .5 gallons diesel per hour on full load, works less than propane. And now I know I can brew even if prolonged power outage.

I know, I'm livin the dream, and don't think I am not grateful.

Love the generator, think you might have missed a spot with the grinder...

Missed a lot of spots, using a new to me MIG and the wrong kind of gas for SS, kind of practicing as I go. Admit they are ugly, since they don't leak I'm happy.

Part of the fun is making and rigging the stuff. Have soldered, brazed and welded on some of these, I think dibbling and silver solder with the right flux might be a good choice for most, but have to try all the methods at hand, just to keep myself amused.

Edit: The ugliest connections are the ones I did with bronze-phosphor brazing rod, I'll clean up the flux residue and prettify them someday. Solder and mig both end up putting less heat on the kettles, brazing should go quick in theory, but had a hard time getting it to tin, & blew a couple holes in keg I had to chase down.

Last edited:
Wife person left early AM with youngest child off to collage, got crew off and working, then I unceremoniously, and sad, dumped 3 batches of crittered beer down the drive. How the heck do you brew three bad batches in a row?

Actually, there are two factors: I can be an idiot, and the effen plate cooler. I been pumping the caustic/acid though for a while each time, but today I just cleaned, not while brewing, and a bunch of hop & grain fragments came out.

First time I ever did beer stuff on a weekday that was not a holiday. The curse of the calvinistic upbringing, or just afraid of running out of dough? This bad beer thing has been worrying me as much as a customer with a sold house and outstanding balance...

Even though I cleaned plate cooler and am going to use it this weekend, I ordered an immersion coil.

Are you leaving it full of sanitizer when you’re not using it?

Usually I drain it dry, sanitize then no rinse, which is what is done with dairy and ice cream machines, but they are not black boxes the way plate coolers are. Maybe I should leave it full?

I think I may just have not been back flushing long enough, I ran two mixes of PBW though it yesterday in both directions until it nothing was coming out, and then hit w Starsan for a long blast, both directions, to confirm no more debris coming out.

Can't sanitize something that's spewing chunks of debris.
Besides, as most PCs are copper-brazed, leaving one full of an acid sanitizer like Star San might not be a great idea...

Can't sanitize something that's spewing chunks of debris.
Besides, as most PCs are copper-brazed, leaving one full of an acid sanitizer like Star San might not be a great idea...

I agree on the chunks, and probably of the not storing wet. When immersion coil comes in, I'll time that, and if close to the plate chiller, the plate box goes into reserve/storage.

I'm drinking store bought beer tonight to stretch what 'brew I have left, good to get new ideas drinking nice craft brews, but will be happy to be well stocked with my own product again. Brew on!...hopefully my next batch comes out OK though...

One idea we had, that works really well is we wired up an electric solenoid to a basic control panel that closes it for 4-5 seconds and then opens it for 15 and we just let it cycle for a while. That repetitive back pressure and release cleans the &$@# out of the exchanger.

Not suggesting that, but maybe a loop through the HX with a ball valve somewhere it could be done manually

Run a sani cycle when done cleaning then again prior to use... but also run the boiling wort through it and back into the BK for a few minutes to sani it again via heat

Brewed yesterday and went back to running a heated PBW/Sani cycle after brewing, always do this before use, but lately just been running cold Idophor as an after rinse, guess that may have been the problem. I hook my two pumps series and blast it though chiller, process lines and the long one line I use to pump wort to cellar.

I wonder what the smallest commercial plate cooler is? for 1 barrel system, 5? always liked commercial grade stuff. Probably like commercial stoves though, they make a 42" one, but they are seldom for sale used and overpriced when they are, and you can get a 6 ft line range for low $. Then there are power and water requirements...Looked into getting 3 phase when I built my shop, but was told it would add an extra $10K, and running a 50 year old 6" well.

off topic, wife and I went to Cape Cod on vacation. We flew from Phoenix, To Buffalo, NY.
of course our rental vehicle had NY plates on it.
all of the MASSHOLES were YELLING at us to "go back to New Yawk City".
Man, are you people rude.
Same in Mystic CT.
found a nice little place there to have breakfast, Kitchen Little.

Realize now have vo
off topic, wife and I went to Cape Cod on vacation........our rental vehicle had NY plates on it.
Same in Mystic CT..

You got that right, this place is nasty, over priced, over crowded, at least when it is not cold and dank. If I ever did go on vacation, it would not be here, or anywhere where the locals were burnt out on people on vacation constantly in the way of getting work done. Of course NY folks can be annoying, along with those from DC area, at least the ones that make it out here.

Pfft, a person could be from NY and still in NY and get that (for having Mets, Yankees, Giants or Jets emblems visible). I have stayed "up state NY" and they embrace the NE teams, so I think it relates to the fans of Sox and Pats acting like a$$holes... Massholes are a whole different level. :cask:

off topic, wife and I went to Cape Cod on vacation. We flew from Phoenix, To Buffalo, NY.
of course our rental vehicle had NY plates on it.
Same in Mystic CT.
found a nice little place there to have breakfast, Kitchen Little.

Why in the world would you go to Cape Cod by way of Buffalo? Its a minimum eight hour drive.

Why in the world would you go to Cape Cod by way of Buffalo? Its a minimum eight hour drive.

we actually flew from Phoenix, AZ to Buffalo because it was the ONLY nonstop flight available at the time. We then went to Niagra Falls in Canada, and we went to the finger lakes region in NY, and to the corning glassware museum etc etc . Cape code was NOT our first destination.

They won't get any more of my "tourist dollars". Upstate NY was a whole lot NICER and friendlier then MASS as well. You folks in MASS are really nutty and rude.

Back