Possible over-carbination?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b4k4

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Got me an amber that I've have conditioning for 2-3 weeks and went to try some today. Head overflows just from opening some of the beers and there's a crapload of bubbles, almost makes it taste like seltzer. I am not a big fan of this beer seltzer monstrosity I've created.

When I let it sit for a while and flatten up a bit it tastes just fine.

Think part of the problem is I was out of Dextrose and used regular sugar to prime. I reduced the amount of sugar I added, but apparently that wasn't sufficient.

Any suggestions on how to salvage the rest of em? Luckily this was just a half-batch

was the beer refrigerated for a good day before you popped the top? you need to chill it well soothe co2 can be reabsorbed into the liquid

I love having some of my own homebrew with former waitresses, they always say "Beer takes 25 min to chill to serving temps!!". Commercial beer, not bottle conditioned.

Ive ice-bathed 20 min. a few newly bottled batches under 2 weeks and as an experiment was maybe expecting a gusher but it was carbed surprisingly well. How long did you primary for, you could have bottled before it finished fermenting. Also how much priming sugar did you use and what style of beer? I would keep an eye on them and if they are consistantly like that then stickem in a fridge or cellar them.

Nope, 24 hours in a fridge didn't help. Any other suggestions? Should just open em all up, let it go flat, and re-carb?

Back