Need Troubleshooting Help on RANCO Single Stage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCBW

Reaction score
I finally got around to wiring up my RANCO temp controller (this one)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015NV5BE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
and nothing. No juice coming down the line. Took it all apart and rehooked it up. Nothing. Removed again and reconnected the extension cord and that worked fine, so I know its the unit itself. I dont have much of an equipment budget anymore and by the time shipping and those BS restocking fees are paid I may as well buy a new one. But I was hoping maybe I was overlooking something simple here. Any one else have problems with this unit? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
My only suggestion would be to double or triple check your internal wiring, if I recall those little tabs or receptacles on the inside of the unit might be a bit dodgy....good luck.

You may also want to post a CLEAR picture of your wiring inside with labels as to which wire is what. You likely just have it wired wrong. Or did you buy a pre-wired one?

I'm close to 100% certain it was wired correctly as I used multiple online pic tutorials as well as the manufacturers instructions.
Would a solid vs. stranded type of wire within the extension cord make any difference?
Returning the damn thing is just so much of a hassle that I may have to sacrifice a second extension cord to the unit before I admit returning it is my only option.

I'm close to 100% certain it was wired correctly as I used multiple online pic tutorials as well as the manufacturers instructions.
Would a solid vs. stranded type of wire within the extension cord make any difference?
Returning the damn thing is just so much of a hassle that I may have to sacrifice a second extension cord to the unit before I admit returning it is my only option.

As long as the wire isn't broken, stranded/solid makes no difference.

IMG_0865.jpg

Rehooked it all up after testing the cord- still nothing.

http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=40898
So this is what I was using as my guide... I was thinking the term "plug end" was the female side of the cord and the "receptacle end" was the male side (ie went into the receptacle). I think I've figured it out, but dont have time until I get back from dinner. Figures it took a public display of my stupidity to solve this. Thanks everyone, I'll post the results later tonight.

Update: That was it. Why do I have the feeling this is not the last time I make myself look like an ass on this board?

Latest posts

Back