Honey Lager (With Coopers Kit)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfargo

Reaction score
Hi all.

I have recently become interested in brewing beer, and decided to start with a coopers kit in order to get eased into the process. I have always loved honey lager, so I went out and bought a Coopers Original Lager kit,and am hoping that I can turn it into a tasty honey lager. I do require some advice, however, in regards to how much honey (pasturized, white) to use- and if any other fermenting agent should be used in addition. I have heard that maltodextrine adds head retention and body to the beer, so with that in mind, and based on the amount of honey used in a coopers strawberry blonde recipe, does this sound reasonable?

500g honey
200g maltodextrine

Thanks

I don't think that adding honey will give it much extra flavour.. The sugars in it will ferment so you will have very little if any noticeable honey flavour. You can use a honey malt though if you just want the flavour. And honey based alcohols have a reputation for causing nasty hangovers.

How did I know you were from Canada? lol. Molson for the win! I got something good for you:

It's not quite honey, but if you add a 1/2 pound of brown sugar instead of the honey, and use just 200g of Dry Malt Extract instead of maltodextrin, you will have yourself some nice tasty caremely sortof sweet lager honeyish beer. I guarantee it.

First time poster here... Just got the Cooper's kit and I was hoping to do the same. I was wondering what you did, and how it came out. I know I could do the Cooper's Lager kit normally, but where's the fun in that. Plus, I already bought a bigass thing of honey.

Suggestions?

Just a suggestion... if just starting to brew you might want to experiment a little less for the time being until you get the process set in your mind. Not that it is hard, but there are a number of suggestions you'll learn here on HBT that are very different than the kit directions.

Enjoy

B

This past fall I made a honey wheat beer, using the Coopers wheat beer kit, 2lbs [about a kilo] of store-bought honey and the kit yeast. The honey flavor did fade a tad by the time I got to the last bottle [which was right before Christmas] but it was still there. It was a nice brew, but next time I would add some malto dextrine.

Just started drinking a Coopers Heritage Lager after 3 weeks in the bottle. Used the can + 1kg brewing sugar, an entire heather bush, about 6 thistle tea bags, 500g honey and 200g or so of bbq roasted oats. It is magnificent. Smooth and flowery with a wonderful honey aroma. Quite strong, reasonably sweet but the heather and thistle adds extra bitterness. Definitely making it again.
I didn't think there would be much honey taste left after fermenting but there is :)

The thing to keep in mind here is that the Cooper's Original Series lager isn't a lager at all. It comes with a 7g packet of ALE yeast. So it's really a light pale ale. I got the OS lager kit package with my Cooper's micro brew kit. I brewed it straight up with the brewing sugar provided. If I remember right,it was 1kg,80% dextrose,20% maltodextrin for better mouth feel.
I came up with a recipe for a Sam Adam's Summer Ale clone based on the OS lager can. My wife brewed it up this past Wednesday. It uses 1lb of Munton's plain light DME,1lb Munton's plain wheat DME in a 2.5G boil. Made a crazy hot break that would've overflowed,had we not taken turns stirring like mad dogs for some 3 minutes.
Then @ 20mins,she added 1oz of raw US Golding hops. @ 12mins,she added 1oz raw Willamette hops. Added the cooper's OS lager can at flame out,stirred to dissolve completely. Put a lid on it & steeped for 15 mins or so while sanitizing fermenter. Ice bath till down to pitch temp.
Topped off to 23L,or 6G in ale pale for an OG of 1.042. We decided to add 2 or 3 packets of this crystallized lemon juice we found in the baking needs isle of the local grocer with the dextrose priming solution at that point.
Smells pretty close so far. Have to let you know how it turns out,maybe turkey day by then...Something to try,anyway.

Back