Yeast pitching question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomtown25

Reaction score
When pitching my yeast, is it best to just sprinkle across top of juice/must or should I stir it in?

There are several ways to start the yeast. The best method is like ice cream...everybody has their favorite.

I've done 3 methods, pitching on top, pitching and stirring and starting in warm water and sugar. No difference in any for me.

There are several ways to start the yeast. The best method is like ice cream...everybody has their favorite.

I've done 3 methods, pitching on top, pitching and stirring and starting in warm water and sugar. No difference in any for me.

I agree

I notice that none of your methods follows the directions printed on the yeast packets. I figure those guys are smarter than I am, so I try to follow their directions.

I don't think it's that other methods don't work. I think it's a question of how can I get the most yeast cells fermenting quickly with as little stress as possible. Biochemedic just posted a lengthy quote on rehydrating from one of the Lallemand experts. His suggestions coincide with the yeast packet directions. A quote from his post:

"How do many beer and wine makers have successful fermentations when they
ignore all the above? I believe that it is just a numbers game. Each gram
of Active Dry Yeast contains about 20 billion live yeast cells. If you
slightly damage the cells, they have a remarkable ability to recover in the
rich wort. If you kill 60% of the cell you still have 8 billion cells per
gram that can go on to do the job at a slower rate."

you may get faster fermentation if you rehydrate but its not going to do anything magical for your wine. and lets not forget that yeast multiply so even if you did kill 60% they would reproduce anyway.

I notice that none of your methods follows the directions printed on the yeast packets. I figure those guys are smarter than I am, so I try to follow their directions.

I don't think it's that other methods don't work. I think it's a question of how can I get the most yeast cells fermenting quickly with as little stress as possible. Biochemedic just posted a lengthy quote on rehydrating from one of the Lallemand experts. His suggestions coincide with the yeast packet directions. A quote from his post:

"How do many beer and wine makers have successful fermentations when they
ignore all the above? I believe that it is just a numbers game. Each gram
of Active Dry Yeast contains about 20 billion live yeast cells. If you
slightly damage the cells, they have a remarkable ability to recover in the
rich wort. If you kill 60% of the cell you still have 8 billion cells per
gram that can go on to do the job at a slower rate."

And the people that make wine kits are experts as well and they don't recommend following the yeast pack directions.

I really don't think it matters as yeast have been found to live in terribly adverse conditions for hundreds of years.

Worst case is $1.00 wasted.

Back