Read this before you buy from Kegkits.com

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
skip the BBB, file a claim with your state attorney general office and the alabama attorney general office.

in case you need it this is his home address

Tom Hargrave
1023 Shiloh St.
Huntsville, Alabama 35803

Wow! I am soooooooo glad I read this forum! I have been comparing prices and such for tower keezer conversion kits and cornys etc. I certainly will not ever order from this guy. I despise people that do things half-azzed! And this guy is CHARGING FOR IT! I agree with the poster who said to change the title of the post "DON'T ORDER FROM TOM..." and place as sticky!

Yeah, we need a buyers beware thread that links to all the relevant brewing related businesses. It is OUR opinions after all that make this forum so great, how could a little honesty about businesses be a bad thing? Some of our vendors frequent our objections and try to make them right. Maybe this guy will get with the program , but I doubt it. He needs to learn his lesson with a failed business, as far as this forum is concerned, I feel anyways.

skip the BBB, file a claim with your state attorney general office and the alabama attorney general office.

in case you need it this is his home address

Tom Hargrave
1023 Shiloh St.
Huntsville, Alabama 35803

Great idea. Here's where and how to do it.

First, Tips on How to Resolve a Complaint...

As soon as you become aware of a problem, approach the business or entity and state specifically the nature of your complaint. Take along your receipt, any guarantee or warranty, and, if possible, the product. Be assertive! If you are told by a salesperson that he or she cannot help you, ask for a higher authority such as the manager or owner. When complaining by mail, give the brand, model, size, color, and any other details needed to identify the product. Include a statement of the circumstances regarding your complaint. Keep a copy of your complaint letter and all correspondence you receive. If you return a product by mail, be sure to have it insured.

Filing a Complaint

When you file an online complaint form, be certain you read and understand the disclosure information provided at the end of the complaint form. It may be particularly important to your situation and could affect this Office's ability to assist you in resolving your complaint!

In order for a complaint file to be opened in the Attorney General's Office, the consumer must first complete an official Complaint Form, an online Complaint Form (see link below), or a send a description of the complaint by letter, and include copies of all correspondence, receipts, etc. to:

Consumer Affairs Section
Office of the Attorney General
500 Dexter Avenue
Montgomery, Alabama 36130-0152
(334) 242-7334 Fax (334)-242-2433

Please remember that we cannot serve as your attorney or give you legal advice. Also, please be aware that copies of all of your correspondence with this office may be forwarded to the business that is the subject of your complaint, as well as to other governmental agencies. We do appreciate the sensitive nature of the identifying information in your consumer complaint, and it is our policy to redact your personal identifying information when releasing records pursuant to public records requests. Please be aware, however, we cannot guarantee that we will not be ordered by a court or other lawful authority to release your complaint information with your personal identifying information on it.

Online Complaint Form

GO TO THE ONLINE CONSUMER COMPLAINT FORM »

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/kegkits-com-take-runner-68340/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/lesson-learned-buying-kegkits-113969/

Link to Tom Hargrave Sales dba Kegkits.com's BBB rating.

Based on BBB files, this business has a BBB Rating of F.

Reasons for this rating include:
  • Failure to respond to complaints filed against business.
  • BBB does not have sufficient information to determine how long this business has been operating.
  • BBB does not have sufficient background information on this business.
BBB Review of Tom Hargrave Sales in Huntsville, AL

Another BBB rating in a different business section.

BBB Review of Kegkits dba Tom Hargrave in Huntsville, AL

Customer Complaint History

When considering complaint information, please take into account the company's size and volume of transactions, and understand that the nature of complaints and a firm's responses to them are often more important than the number of complaints.
BBB processed a total of 5 complaints about this company in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period. Of the total of 5 complaints closed in 36 months, 5 were closed in the last year.
Delivery Issues BBB Definition:

Delivery Issues - Claims alleging delayed delivery of ordered merchandise. Resolved BBB Definition:

Resolved - The company resolved the complaint issues. 1 - Company resolved BBB Definition:

resolved - The company resolved the complaint issues. the complaint issues. The consumer acknowledged acceptance to BBB. No Response BBB Definition:

No Response - The company failed to respond to the complaint. 2 - Company failed to respond to BBB to resolve or address the complaint issues. Customer Service Issues BBB Definition:

Service Issues - Claims of alleged delay in completing service, failure to provide promised service, inferior quality of provided service, or damaged merchandise as a result of delivery service.
BBB Definition:

Customer Service Issues - Claims alleging unsatisfactory customer service, including personnel's failure to provide assistance in a timely manner, failure to address or respond to customer dissatisfaction, unavailability for customer support, and/or inappropriate behavior or attitude exhibited by company staff. No Response BBB Definition:

No Response - The company failed to respond to the complaint. 1 - Company failed to respond to BBB to resolve or address the complaint issues. Refund or Exchange Issues BBB Definition:

Refund or Exchange Issues - Claim of alleged failure to honor company policy or verbal commitment to provide refunds, exchanges, or credit for products or services. No Response BBB Definition:

No Response - The company failed to respond to the complaint. Company failed to respond to BBB to resolve or address the complaint issues.

You know Ed, that might be a really good thing to put into a sticky in the kegging forum. As you know, I have been around here a while, but a few weeks ago when I was purchasing my kegging "goodies" I could have just as easily ended up sending this goober my money instead of KegConnection. Others, especially n00bs may not be aware of this issue or have stumbled on this thread yet. Everyone needs to know BEFORE it is too late, and the kegging faq would be a perfect place along with a link to this thread.

Good idea. I made a sticky referencing two threads and his BBB F'n rating. I'll leave it there simply as public service announcement.

WOW...and we think we have failed if our orders are not processed and shipped on the same day!.....

yah its a sad situation for sure, however they are close to legalizing homebrewing in alabama, see freethehops.org ... i talked to tom since i actually know him, once they legalize homebrewing he is gonna move to a more public store front, and hire some help, cause he just cant keep up.... i still send him business when he is the cheapest however, most of his customers are huntsville alabama locals....

Ed is a superhero!!!

No, no, no. I'm just a very customer focused person. Businesses that treat customers like this really get under my skin and if folks have a chance to make an educated buying decision, then that is all good.

yah its a sad situation for sure, however they are close to legalizing homebrewing in alabama, see freethehops.org ... i talked to tom since i actually know him, once they legalize homebrewing he is gonna move to a more public store front, and hire some help, cause he just cant keep up.... i still send him business when he is the cheapest however, most of his customers are huntsville alabama locals....

I can appreciate that, especially having lived in Huntsville for 3 years, but Tom needs to stick to local walk in business and leave the mail order stuff to the vendors who can ship product in a reasonable time frame (like in 2 business days). I expect my orders to ship same day or next day based on my personal experience ordering from Morebeer, Northern Brewer, Williams Brewing, Midwest Brewing, etc. All of these folks ship same day or next and if not, I get a phone call or email explaining a backorder situation (which I expect from a normal business).

Tom Hargrave FAILS in so many instances in the online business model, it's amazing he is still in the mail order business.

No matter how you look at it, there is absolutely NO EXCUSE for his delays and PATHETIC communications with his online customers. None what so ever....When folks can buy elsewhere for a few bucks more and get their orders shipped tomorrow and get an email with a tracking number. Any level of service lower is below the defacto standard set by Williams Brewing, Austin Homebrew, Northern Brewer, Midwest Brewing, More Beer, etc.

Wow, glad I came across this thread. Just getting back in to homebrewing after about an 8 year break and I actually had KegKits bookmarked as a possible source for kegerator parts. Thanks for the heads up guys.

+1 for kegconnection. Also here is a tip. Kegconnection also vends their product through Amazon for the same price. Amazon is on a mission to be the biggest all purpose supplier in the world, and I suspect they keep their suppliers on a short leash for quick shipping and reasonable shipping rates. The same kits are sold on Amazon and Ebay by Kegconnection, but it's not the same shipping price. Check it out before you order.

I don't want to attempt to defend Tom or KegKits - but will share my experience. Its not all positive, but has a happier ending to many of those on this thread. Doing this, just to add *some* balance to the negative.

I orders $650+ of kegerator stuff before reading this thread. Because I was in a hurry to get the goods, and because I was shipping them to my office I was proactive in asking when stuff would ship. Tom was good at answering my e-mails promptly.

He stated up front that the brass he needed for the regulator and manifold assemblies were "on order" but expected them in time to fulfil my order and have the delivered to my office by Friday. I received a subsequent e-mail that the order came in minus the brass and asked if I wanted a partial order, or to cancel the order. At this time he had NOT billed my CC. I said a partial order wouldn't do, because it was the regulator assemblies that made the total order cost favorable. We agreed he would ship most of my stuff to my office for Friday delivery, and overnight the regulators to my home for a Saturday delivery. I receive USPS priority mail tracking numbers for the office delivery. Friday came and went - no goods. USPS took an extra day to deliver this particular package - I was disappointed but don't blame KegKits. My Sat deliver came as advertised. When the office order came in Monday, the keg lube jar was broke. Tom offered to send a replacement at his cost. I piggy-backed a few things I forgot, and received the order middle of the week. This order was missing some o-rings. I e-mailed about the missing item, and its in the mail (I have a tracking number).

I figure most, maybe all of his profit has been eroded in the double/triple shipping.

I get the impression that he and his son are working this part time and are probably over their head. It happens. No excuses - just reality of trying to get a small business up and running. He CAN turn this around, but I suspect he'll need someone with good communication and customer service skills to make it happen. That and a little better funding to maintain an adequate stock.

I will order from KegKits again, IF I'm not bound by a tight or dependable timeframe.

Again, no attempt to defend Tom or the company - just offering a my experience to the thread.

If Tom would simply be up front with his online customers instead of taking their money and leaving them hanging while he waits for inventory, then many of these folks would not be complaining. The problem is that he does not do that and it is an unacceptable level of service in today's online business environment. NO ONE ELSE DOES THIS, Just Tom Hargrave of Kegkits.com.

Sorry, saving a few bucks and dealing with the stress of not getting product while thinking an online dealer screwed you since his communication skills are lacking as well as his cash flow are not worth it. When he changes his business model and brings his customer service level up to that of Austin Home Brew, Williams Brewing, Northern Brewer, Brewmaster's Warehouse, etc., I be glad to change my tune.

In the mean time, I will continue to advise customers to read threads like these and make educated decisions as to where to buy products if they want them in a timely manner.

I purchased a manafold from him about 2 months ago, took over a month to get, when I did get it I noticed it leaked(went through 2 C02 tanks)... I emailed, called, filed a paypal complaint and still nothing. I am out the money, do not do business with him, I saved 20 bucks using him, but it is costing me about 200!

"Tom,

I called and just spoke with you. My name is XXXXXXXXXXXX, and this email is in regards to KegKits.com Order #5958. When I spoke with you, you stated that the items that I wanted were on "back-order." I asked if it would be possible to have my order cancelled and my money refunded to my credit card, and you stated that it would be, but your son would have to do it. I just wanted to follow-up with an official email request, as I would like that money returned to my credit card ASAP.

I am extremely disappointed in the fact that you do not have/keep information regarding your products and their status on your website. This would have kept me from placing the order in the first place, and in turn, it would have kept me from having to call you and write this email. It is unfortunate that we are having this issue, as I feel your website has good products, you charge a fair price, but I believe your communication and customer service is lacking at best.

Your remedy you briefly offered on the phone of "waiting for the order until our vendor delivers the item" is unacceptable, as you were unable to produce a timeframe in which I would receive my item. I will wait the standard 3-5 days to receive my refund to my credit card, but if I do not receive it by then, I will contact the BBB, the Alabama State's Attorney Office, and my credit card company to dispute these charges.

Thank you!"

Lol, my thought exactly!

I finally got a refund via pay pal dispute once I attached a PDF of a notorized letter from my attorney. A copy was sent via snail mail as well to his home address and the AGs office in Alabama and in MA (my state).

I'm tempted to take this further and I'm sure I could get a hoarde of people together back me in a nice law suit, but I feel I have already exhausted my energy on this guy and he's not worth what I would want.

Good luck to everyone else.
-John the Brewer.

OK, I posted a while that I ordered two corneys on 3/1 and was promised a refund to my card on 3/20 (of course that didn't happen). I went to my bank and sent them copies of the emails I had with Tom and they credited me back the money. Yesterday I saw in the mail that Tom is fighting this stating that he sent me some merchandise (one five pound CO2 tank came two weeks from order, no kegs) so he should keep all of the money. Words can't express what an friggin jerk (lots of other words in mind) this guy is! What a complete waste of time! Now I've got to go after him again to get my money back for the kegs! I imagine he'd have lots of time to actually provide some basic level of customer service rather than chase around all of the people he's screwed which it looks like he's becoming at master at. Stay clear!! :(

Tom Hargrave
Administrator

[applaud] [smite]

View Profile WWW Email Personal Message (Offline)

(No subject)
« Sent to: reddskinnfan on: Today at 07:57:47 PM »
« You have forwarded or responded to this message. »

I verified that your refund was processed and I posted a response to the message board.

BTW, one of the board rules is "no bashing" businesses or me and that includes me. I'll leave your post on the board for 24 hours to give you a chance to read my response then I will delete it.

He still doesn't get it, it's not BASHING IF IT'S TRUE!!!!

While I appreciate the fact that you have issued my refund, I still think you are lowlife scum who deserves nothing less than a lawsuit, or a criminal investigation for your slimy, dirty business practices!

Tom Hargrave
Administrator

[applaud] [smite]

View Profile WWW Email Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Status of an order
« Reply #10 on: Today at 07:22:36 PM » Reply with quote
Yes, your $67.96 was credited. And I explined that it may take a few days to appear on your statement because the refund was not processed the same day as the purchase.

As far as processing CC's is concerned, I talked to several others in similar businesses before starting this one. And the overwhelming recommendation was to process CC's when the orders are processed. The reason is simple - those who tried processing when the product ships found that too many cards would not go through then they had to put extra time and money into putting boxed product back on the shelf.

Our issue is that we ship many orders late - some of its our fault and some suppliers, like the drip trays. We have them made locally and I've had an order in with the shop for 6 weeks. 2 weeks ago they explained that they needed to requote the job because thay had not quoted the work in a year. This caused a 4 week delay. The frustrating parts is - the qoute came back with the exact same prices as last year!

And the number one issue that's our fault? It's band width - I would love to hire someone but I can't afford to pay a reasonable wage for someone who can do everything that needs to be done. So, instead, I work more than 80 hours / week and my Son Joey puts in all the hours he can.

SO HE THINKS IT'S BETTER TO PISS OFF CUSTOMERS? I THINK NOT! IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE CUSTOMERS YOU HAVE, THEN SHUT DOWN THE INTERNET SHOP!

I filed a complaint with both the Alabama, and Maryland (my home) State Attorney General offices. We'll see what happens...

The "busy" excuse is lame. We're all busy. That doesn't make it OK to be a criminal.

No problems with my order for a dual pressure regulator. Less than a week from internet order to receipt of package. Good customer experiences get told to about 1-2 people while bad customer experiences usually get told to 10.

:fro:

No problems with my order for a dual pressure regulator. Less than a week from internet order to receipt of package. Good customer experiences get told to about 1-2 people while bad customer experiences usually get told to 10.

And borderline criminal customer service gets told to thousands (or however many people read this board).

And borderline criminal customer service gets told to thousands (or however many people read this board).

Yah, I agree, the stuff going on here isnt a "mistake" or a "woops". Reading some of this dudes responses in this thread, Id never do business with him, regardless of his prices and ship times... he is a complete a$$. A$$es dont get my dollars, they can starve for all I care. I love bullies, they are poor, like this guy Tom will be.

I will let you know if/when the credit posts. I am sorry to be a stickler, but I am going off of other people's experiences with your service as well. To put it plain and simple, if you are unable to keep up, don't do the online shop. If it is too much to handle, then DON'T DO IT!

Mike

P.S. You might want to start WOW'ing your customers, instead of biting off more than you can chew! You will gain a better client base by doing it.

P.S.S You might want to spend as much time packing and shipping orders as you do on this forum defending your PISS POOR customer service.

Question for you guys who file complaints with both State Attorney General offices... (somewhat unrelated to Kegkits), if I sign up for something, pay (money was processed by vendor) but never hear back or get anything, of course no refund either - can I just file a complaint?

Red-

Did that guy really ask you to moderate his message board in his last post?

This guy seems like a complete a$$clown.

If you spent anytime here you'd find out that your statement is totally baseless. I could probably post at least 15 different threads where good service has been praised to the extreme.

Great first post. :mad:

Unfortunately i found this thread after i order $250 worth of products from kegkits.com. I order about a week and a half ago, yesterday i called him up and asked about my order, because i had no reply from the email i sent him 5 days ago. Apparently i was suppose to get an email notifying me that my order will be processed as soon as they get more co2 tanks, which was suppose to be today. I asked why he didn't respond to my email and i was given the excuses that he is too busy and gets over 300 emails a day. But then he told me that someone else checks his emails. Guilty under pressure? I think that was a lame excuse and he just seems to be very lazy. Anyways, I will keep everyone here posted to see if he pulls through, fortunately for me i used my visa check card which i could always file a dispute on him causing me to get my money back and for him to loose a customer and some money through fines.

"Excuses are like a**holes, everyone's got one and they stink."

Ok, so its been about 3 weeks and I finally got my full order. I really will never buy from keg kits because I was never sent an email confirming my shipping and also the co2 i bought was back ordered but i was never told about. I was sent everything in different boxes at different times. The whole perspective on customer service with keg kits sucked, even though it was a little cheaper, it wasn't worth it in my eyes.

If it makes anyone feel better the co2 tank came with a sticker saying kegkits.com on it, and the way my local welding shop fills tanks is with exchanges, so i wrote on the sticker "sucks" under kegkits.com and also wrote a little sentence stating to never buy supplies from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back