Wee Heavy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SynicalKaos

Reaction score
My next batch is going to be a Wee Heavy (Northern Brewers extrat kit) I'll have 12lbs of LME as my fermentables and plan on making a 2L starter. SG should be somewhere around 1.083

My question involves conditioning. Do I rack to a secondary and let it condition there or just do it in the bottles?

Usually I leave the beer in the Primary for at least 14 days and then bottle, but this will be my first time making a beer above 1.055 and I'm just not sure what to do.

You'll find many opinions. If you do only primary-I would wait longer than 10 days-maybe a month or so before bottling. If you use a secondary, you could likely let it sit for months in secondary before bottling/kegging. If you're going to bottle (and not keg), I'd have a longer primary phase, then bottle-leave at 70 degrees or so for a few weeks-then cool down to 50-60 for a good couple of months.

IMO, if you're going to need another fermentation (in the bottle-for carbonation), then you may as well do that sooner than later. That way, all fermentation will be completed by the time you hit your longer conditioning phase. I don't think there's any 'right' answer-just depends on preference and your method.

I assume you are using the 1728 Scottish Ale yeast since you mentioned using a starter. This is a highly flocculant strain, so a long primary followed by bottling is the way to go. If you secondary, you will have even less yeast in the bottle and you may actually have trouble getting carbonation in this big of a beer.

I generally only secondary if I am bottling AND I am using a strain that doesn't flocc well, such as many of the Belgian yeast strains or the Cali ale yeast.

Back