Dortmunder Export

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AquaDementia

Reaction score
Hello All! I've been hanging around this board for a bit and finally got around to joining. I'm all-grain and have a couple years experience under my belt, but am always looking for critiques on styles that I'm new to. So here we go. Going to get into some dortmunders this next year. Im working on getting a water analysis, so I wont include that in the recipe, but I've read Daniel's 'Desinging Great Brews' and saw water adjustments in there, so I will use those when the time comes.
I made the recipe to replicate the classic style. Not going for anything crazy, just a middle of the road example of the style. Input greatly appreciated!!

Dortmunder Export
6 Gallons 72% Efficiency
OG: 1.055
FG: 1.014
IBU: 25
SRM: 5.97
ABV: 5.45

7.5 lbs. Rahr Pilsner Malt (60%)
3.0 lbs. Rahr 2-Row (24%)
2 lbs. Weyermann Light Munich (16%)

1 oz. Sterling 6.0% @ 60
.5 oz. Tettnanger 4.5% % 30
Whirfloc at 15 min

Not sure on yeast yet, but will likely go with a lager strain with a higher attenuation. Probably WY 2042 Danish Lager.

Mash at 151-152 F. Single infusion Batch sparge.

Thanks for the Help!!!

Since it is a German beer, I'd drop the 2-row and go with just Pils & Munich.
JZ uses a ratio of 2:1 Pils:Munich. Your recipe is towards the high end of OG, and towards the low end of IBU, so you could bump up the IBUs.

The commercial Dortmunders I've had are golden, super clean, and just SCREAM maltiness, but still have the minerally-bitterness to back it up. You might consider reducing the Munich malt or even dropping it all together. A 90 minute boil will darken it up pretty good and Munich malt might make it darker than you'd want. A decoction or melanoidin malt would be good here as well.

Temperature control and adequate yeast pitching are key to get a good clean profile. I think your yeast choice is a good one.

I did one last year that was 74% Pilsner, 15% Munich, 5% Wheat, 5% Carafoam and 1% Melanoiden. It was quite good and was not too dark. I also used the Danish yeast.

I had read an article on the maltose falcon site (thought I cant find it now), saying that they used a small amount of 2-row to help attenuation of the pilsner malt. The light munich is meant to give a bit more of a malt backbone in the grist. Perhaps, I'll decrease the light munich to a lb. and slightly bump up the IBU's. An additional 15 minute 1/2 oz. Tett addition will bump it up to 29 IBU. Is this late of an addition acceptable or should I tack on the extra IBU at the 60 minute addition?

Thanks for the posts!!

An additional 15 minute 1/2 oz. Tett addition will bump it up to 29 IBU. Is this late of an addition acceptable or should I tack on the extra IBU at the 60 minute addition?

One thing I forgot earlier... welcome to the forum!

According to Ray Daniels (Designing Great Beers), Dortmunders are 20-29 IBUs. "A portion of the hops may be added about fifteen minutes before the end of the boil."

So, I think you're good, but keep in mind you're at the upper end of the scale for IBUs... but you're also at the upper end for OG, so your IBUs may be OK.

I was looking at this recipe and was interested in brewing it, but I was curious how you got your number for IBU? I put in your hop additions and am getting 31 IBU's. Am I missing something here.

This the formula I'm using to calculate.

IBU= (Weight in ounces x U% x a% x 7489)/(VOL in gallons x O.G.)

Latest posts

Back