Kegerator vs. Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captianoats

Reaction score
I see both kegerators and keezers floating around this site. I have two questions...

1. Are there benefits of using one or the other? I can see the benefit of a chest freezer simply due to the amount of kegs you can fit inside, but is there any other benefits?

2. How do you keep your keezers from getting too cold? Do the thermostats go above freezing?

Thanks for the advice.

Chest freezers will require the purchase of a temperature controller. The simple ones just plug into the wall and then your freezer plugs into the controller.

Advantages of a keezer.
1) More storage capacity.

2) Far easier to modify if you want the taps coming out of the top.

3) I personally think (even though I don't have one yet) that you can build a far more attractive end product with a chest freezer.

Advantages of a kegger.
1) Typically, but not always you can pick up a used refrigerator alot cheaper than a freezer.
2) Really easy to attach faucets to the door.

3) Bigger refrigerators can handle 4 kegs if you remove the door racks.

4) No temperature control needed.

5) Easy to load kegs in and out.

you use a ETC Electronic temperature controller.

-Love controller
-Ranco
-Johnson Controls

There are others but those seem to be the most popular.
This will Keep the fridge or freezer at a set temperature.

The main advantage of a keezer is that it can hold more product, and in some cases for lagering can reach colder temps then a fridge can. Other that that there is really no difference.

With a Keezer you are going to get Humidity and its a little harder to clean out because you have to reach in there. Really boils down to how much stuff do you want on tap?

If you only want 1-2 kegs that a fridge will do. If you want to have 3-4 kegs and be able to carbonate the beer as well then a freezer is better.

Just went through the decision process and ended up with a keezer for the same reasons the other guys mentioned. I've got two brews kegged with room for two more and I'm wishing I had room for eight. A kegerator would not have scratched my itch when all is said and done.

Back