sodium metabisulphite

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boozeboy

Reaction score
i sterilized my equipment with sodium metabisulphite but i was wondering if this will affect the beer because aparently you don't need to rinse out the equipment i fear if traces are in the beer it will kill the yeast but i have been told its harmless in small quantitys.

One of the first pieces of advice given to me by a few homebrewers was "take all the Sod. meta.bisulf. and chuck it away before it kills you"! I don't know if they were exaggerating but one bloke I know can't drink anything that has come into contact with it without developing massive headaches.
Just me but find another steriliser, Idophor is good and there are heaps of others that people on the forum use that seem pretty good too.
Cheers Alx

In the recommended diluted amounts sodium metabisulphite (aka campden tablets) won't be detectable, won't kill your yeast and won't leave any aftertaste when you've conditioned your brew. However as Alx Rains states if you are allergic to it then you definately want to avoid using it.

Sodium Met is the only legally allowed preservative in beer, its an antioxidant and is used by many in the mash to reduce the chance of HSA. 1/2 a tab can be added to 50 L of water to neutralize chlorine. It isnt effective on certain types of bacteria, it merely 'stuns' them allowing them to wake up later (in the middle of a freshly prepared wort dinner). It prevents the growth of wild yeast allowing brewers yeast to 'take hold' during fermentation, it can then be used (usualy in wine making) in a large enough quantity to halt the fermentation. Its also good for sanitising fruits and stuff before adding to the cask/secondary in much the same way as they prepare fruits for wine making, the difference is an unfermented wine must is a much less hospitable enviroment for bacteria than a wort.
Sodium met has a place in beer making but not as the primary means of sanitation.
BTW its particularly good at rinsing stuff that has been cleaned in bleach as it effectively neutralizes the chlorine and doesnt need to be rinsed.

ok i just hope my brew goes well if not there is a lesson to be learned i know im not allergic so thats not a trouble i will keep you updated and tell you how the brew goes any other advice is welcome thanks.:mug:

Back