First batch newbie question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweeder

Reaction score
Tell me what you think. I am in Georgia during the "Dawg Days" of summer and brewing my first couple of batches. I started my first batch yesterday. Here is my recipe:
6 lbs Muntons Light Liquid Extract
1 lbs Muntons DME
1 oz Centenial 9.9% bittering @60
1 oz Centenial 9.9% flavor @15
1 oz Centenial 9.9 aroma @1

After the hot break, dropped bittering hops, and continued hops as directed. Cold break at 15 minutes to 65* then pitched Fermentis Ale Yeast. I did stir in the yeast a little as I was attempting to agitate the wort to add oxygen....was told later to not stir the yeast but just let it sit on top. Placed the lid on the fermenter bucket and inserted the airlock. 24 hours later, nothing except foam build up on the top. I was told by the LHBS to take off the lid and real seal the bucket to ensure I had a good tight seal, so I did. 30 hours later, still nothing. The batch is staying around 71*-72* throughout the day, can't get it much cooler this time of year. Got it in the smallest room with a celling fan and floor fan on it.
I am thinking that I might just be impatient, as all first timers are, but I am also wondering if I may have done something wrong to cause it not to begin fermenting. Also I am trying for an IPA with this recipe and curious to what you all think about it. Sound good, too bland, too bitter.... Thank you in advance for all comments, concerns, flaming for asking dumb questions, and so forth:)
-Rick-

I'm on batch 3... But if anything has helped it's been this: RELAX.

If you had foam buildup, it seems like you've already got fermentation going. Leave it 2 weeks and transfer it to secondary for 3 weeks, or leave it 4 weeks before bottling if you don't have a second fermenter. Also, you can't go wrong with a hydrometer to monitor the fermentation process (as fermentation progresses, specific gravity decreases).

I like Nugget hops for bittering -- 13% alpha gives a nice kick. You'll probably find, as I did, the resulting hoppiness is more subdued than you expect, and it's more of an amber or pale ale than an IPA.

Thanks man, yea I think I may be a little impatient as of now, just needed someone else to pat me on the back and say that it would all be okay:D:D
I was going to stay in the primary for 2 weeks then transfer straight to the keg and let it sit another week or so before force carbonation. I am looking forward to seeing the taste of this brew so I can base my recipes off of it as far as my hops go.

Looks like a decent, if simple, recipe. A few comments...

Tweeder said:
Cold break at 15 minutes to 65* then pitched...
Do you mean that you started chilling after 45 minutes of boiling? Hop addition times are typically based on a 60 minute boil, and your 1 minute hop addition would have gone in a minute before flameout. This could make a big difference in the hop flavor/aroma you get in your finished product.

Foam or krausen in the fermenter is a sure sign of fermentation. Lack of movement in your airlock could be due to a bad seal in your bucket lid, or possibly a bad airlock or stopper. If you don't see any movement in the airlock through this fermentation you should find the problem before the next batch in order to avoid any possibility of contamination. Don't open the bucket any more than you can avoid. :)

Sounds like your fermentation temp is a bit too high. It might not make a big difference for this batch, as fruity yeast esters seem to complement American hop flavors pretty well, but you'll certainly want to address the issue before long. There are some really simple options available, like the ice water bath/T-shirt/floor fan combo. Find something reasonable for your schedule and budget and get started ASAP. Consistent fermentation temperatures are the most basic element of brewing good beer.

If you really want a big hop flavor, consider dry-hopping. The difference in a beer coming straight out of the primary vs. a week on a dry hop is significant. You can even dry hop in the keg by tying a hop bag about halfway up the dip tube.

Try adding some steeped grains to your next recipe, maybe 1/2 pound of Crystal 60. It'll add a noticeable body, color and flavor to the beer, and is the next step in controlling the malt flavor of your beer.

Sounds like a great start! Regardless of any "issues" you may find in the current process, this batch will be great because you made it. Remember that it's a constant learning process and you'll never know everything or have every piece of equipment.

As for the recipe... I think you'll be a few points low in SG for the American IPA style, but it should turn out fine, and your IBUs are okay for the style. I like hoppier IPAs myself, but you're at about 55 IBUs with that recipe, which is fine.

And the style guidelines don't really matter if you're brewing for your own tastes anyway. :)

OG: 1.052
FG: 1.013
SRM: 7.8
IBU: 55.3

For the American IPA style, ranges are:
OG: 1.056-1.075
FG: 1.010-1.018
SRM: 6.0-15.0
IBU: 50.0-70.0

The reason we all have so many brews going is no one likes to wait! So while one is doing one thing we can concentrate on the next brew.

IT'S A CURSE!!!

For a first batch, don't waste any worries about hitting a "style" right on. If you get down to the nitty gritty, the differences between some styles is hundredths of a point in IBU's Color or Original gravity. All that stuff can just mess with you when you are just starting out. Don't sweat the small stuff. Just work on your procedures. Get your methods down pat and enjoy the beer you brew. Once you have your skill down on the methods you can start to "geek out" on styles and flavor profiles and fruity esters.

The best advise I have ever taken from this board is Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Home Brew. Cheers! :mug:

Thanks for all of the insight! By the cold break comment I meant that after the 60 minute boil it took 15 minutes to go from boiling to 65*. Was unsure if that was too long or if it may have effected the fermentation.
As of now I will be happy with a good tasting brew, not too concerned on the style. Right now it's MY style:ban:
I do think that I have a bad seal on that one bucket cause my other brew has airlock rocking out in just a few hours. Problem fixed.

+1 on the loose top. That happened on my last batch, I was worried my yeast was having trouble taking off but then I realized I could smell the beer from outside near the edge of the lid instead of out the airlock like normal. I was able to put a weight on top of the lid (on the edge) and the added pressure got my airlock going.

yea it's a mismatch bucket lid combo, but heck the bucket and lid are the same size just different brands.....Anyway will this lack of seal disturb the flavor or add too much oxygen, airborne bacteria, bad juju to the batch? As long as it comes out alright I won't mind....just this one time;)

yea it's a mismatch bucket lid combo, but heck the bucket and lid are the same size just different brands.....Anyway will this lack of seal disturb the flavor or add too much oxygen, airborne bacteria, bad juju to the batch? As long as it comes out alright I won't mind....just this one time;)

Think of it this way... Belgian and English beer makers have been using open fermenters for a few hundred years, meaning they just have huge vats of fermenting beer with no lid on them at all. And they've been known to make a decent beer or two.

People joke about "relax and have a home brew"... but it honestly is the best advice a lot of times.

It takes a fair amount of work to ruin a batch of beer. It might miss it's style. You might get some flavors that weren't intended... but as long as you're at least decent about sanitation, you'll be golden.

... and the more beer you make, the more and more comfortbale you'll get and the more knowledge you'll get and the more you can control exactly what youi get as an end result.

So... in the mean time.... relax and have a home brew (or a nice micro if you don't have any home brew available)!! :mug:

LOL good deal. I have been reading a few books about brewing and some REALLY make you think if you aren't super carefully about ALL KINDS of different little things then your brew is ruined. I didn't think that this would cause a problem, just wanted to hear some veteran brewmasters opinions:)
No home brew yet...kind of why I am impatient...but I guess my cornie of UGA's Terrepin Golden Ale will do for now. :mug:

Back