Diacetyl Rest in Bottle Conditioning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EinGutesBier

Reaction score
Anyone know if this is possible? Is it as simple as making sure the yeast are agitated and the bottles are in a warm room? After giving my beer a diacetyl rest, I still found some trace flavors in my beer that I bottled on Saturday. Just hoping there's a way to get that taste subdued.

Well, I wouldn't think it would be very effective. I mean, diacetyl is cleaned up by yeast, that's why the diacetyl rest is done in the primary, before racking. It CAN be done in secondary, but it would be very slow because of the amount of yeast removed. In the bottles, I wouldn't think the yeast would be very numerous. I guess it could happen, though, if you waiting long enough.

Okay, thanks. It's not too bad, the beer is still drinkable...but I thought a few days would've been enough for a D rest. Oh well.

Just keep the beer out at room temperature, and it might work out just fine. I've done successful diacetyl rests after kegging, so I do not see why it could not happen in bottle conditioned beer. As Yooper said, though, it may take a while. You have more than a couple weeks to go for carbonation, though, so the diacetyl may be gone by then.

TL

Latest posts

Back