First Batch Accident w/Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostDakota

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am new to homebrewing but am extremely excited about it. I purchased my first kit and equiptment earlier this week. The same day I couldn't wait to start brewing. So I dove into the Brewer's Best kit and began on my first Robust Porter. As I went to pour the crushed grains into the grain bag over the brew pot, the bag slipped and most of the grains fell into the pot. Stupidly, I proceeded to finish the recipe with the grains still in the pot. How bad is this going to be in the finished product. Should I just throw it out now, or is there still hope? Any response will be appreciated.
Thanks

It might be a little astringent, like boiled tea. Since it's a Robust Porter, you'll probably be fine. Darker ales have roasty and caramel flavors that can mask astringency.

I am going to write the obiligitory offer to dispose of his beer for him....

It is probably no good, but you can send the beer to Boston, and I can get rid of it for you. Right down the drain, after I filter it through my liver and kidneys first.

Back