Bell's 2 Hearted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xiren

Reaction score
What is the Qts water to lbs of grain ratio for Bell's IPA? I could not seem to find that info. Did I overlook it somewhere?
Thank you in advance.

Oddly enough I just started culturing yeast from 4 bottles of Two Hearted so I can brew it next week. This is the recipe I have, it's not mine, but someone else's. His mash scedule covers all the info.

This recipe has been nailed down for over a year now....5 or 6 batches, tons of web and forum research, and talking directly with the brewer at a festival. It tastes, looks and feels as close to perfect. The real kicker is to use bell's bottle yeast...if you can't, just use 1056 American Ale or 1272 for a slightly more fruity taste. Follow the hop additions religously. That's the key. And keep your IBU's below 45.

Two-Hearted Ale Master Recipe
American IPA

Type: All Grain
Date: 11/24/2006
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Brewer: Brad Swanson
Boil Size: 8.08 gal Asst Brewer: Swortsie
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: Brew Pot (7.5 gal) and Igloo Cooler (10 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 38.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 77.0
Taste Notes: Irish ale yeast had a slight off flavor and 1056 was very avg. It's best to use Bell's yeast.

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.88 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 79.3 %
1.74 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 14.0 %
0.55 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4.4 %
0.29 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 2.3 %
1.84 oz Centennial Leaf [7.70%] (20 min) Hops 23.6 IBU
2.75 oz Centennial Leaf [7.70%] (5 min) Hops 11.6 IBU
0.46 oz Centennial Leaf [7.70%] (60 min) Hops 9.8 IBU
1.80 oz Centennial Leaf [7.70%] (10 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
3.00 oz Centennial PELLETS [9.60%] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale
1 Pkgs Two Hearted Ale (Bell's Brewing) [Starter 2000 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.058 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.058 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.0 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.0 %
Bitterness: 45.0 IBU Calories: 258 cal/pint
Est Color: 6.3 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body, No Mash Out Total Grain Weight: 12.47 lb
Sparge Water: 5.96 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 170.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 3.86 gal of water at 171.4 F 155.0 F 75 min

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Kegged (Forced CO2) Volumes of CO2: 2.6
Pressure/Weight: 19.9 PSI Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 52.0 F Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

Notes

Should be 1.058 and have 6.0% alcohol if you use Bell's Bottled Yeast. 7.40brix corrected 1.012 FG 1.058 OG 78.3% apparent atten 63.4% Real atten. in bottled Bell's Beer Degassed and Room Temp
Color Should Be 6.3ish
IBU's 40-50 taken from Bell's guy at BR Microbrew fest "around 50". Mild bitter and all flavor and aroma hops.
Dry hopped for "very shor time" PELLET HOPS ONLY 1lb/barrel or .5oz/gallon added right before end of primary ferm. WARM! No Hop Bag!
No FWH
MAKE A STARTER FROM BOTTLED TWO HEARTED even the Bell's guy told me to do this at the festival
Irish ale yeast had a slight off flavor and 1056 was very avg. It's best to use Bell's yeast.

The one thing to look out for in bottled conditioned beers is, the yeast at the bottom of the bottle may not be the same yeast they fermented with.

Brew-boy said:
The one thing to look out for in bottled conditioned beers is, the yeast at the bottom of the bottle may not be the same yeast they fermented with.

You are correct of course. However the guy who posted this recipe originally says he talked to the brewer and the brewer recommended reculturing from the bottle to get the best yeast. Also the recipes that I have seen for Bells Oberon suggest the same thing.

It would be so much easier if I could just go to the brewery and get some yeast. I only live about 20 or so miles from Bells' Comstock Park Brewery.

Back