Pinot Noir Kit Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyowolf

Reaction score
I purchased a kit from Williams Brewing, PN. followed directions exactly.
its been 21 days now and I need to rack to secondary. Question is do i have to filter out the "oak dust"? that I put in? i wanted to use some cubes but the local brew place didnt have what i wanted.

is there anything else i have to add at this stage? or just let it sit for the 90 days per instructions?

I have done several beers before but this is my first wine... sure was easy!! just dump it in, add water, add yeast! took all of 20 min.

thanks in advance.

Frank

Only take the liquid, leave most the dead yeast and most of the sawdust behind.

My Williams kit is at 90 days this week, but I am going to let it go another 2 months. I like a 6 month timeline.
I did add 1 ounce of toasted oak cubes that I bought at a local brew house.

ok I will do that.
will the oak settle to the bottom?

i have read some places that people add the same kind of wine to it when they rack to the secondary? ie a bottle of PN to the secondary.. worth doing or no?

Topping off with a wine is acceptable. I think there is about half a bottle in mine. The cubes will either sink or float, doesn't really matter, the oak flavor is all over them.

Racked to a 5 gallon carbon. 1.005 is what I measured. Of course I forgot OG.
I noticed that it's a little cloudy, will this clear? Or do I need to add something for that??
Can I add some more oak?

You can add more oak, but be careful, its easy to over oak.

The wine will clear in a few weeks, or you could buy some clearing agents. Time will do the best job, though.

Back