Keezer Thermal Monitor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hank1105

Reaction score
Hey everyone, been lurking this forum for a few days now. Just order a chest freezer which of course I will be converting to a keezer. The pictures posted by the various home brewers are outstanding. I will be making a collar, my wood working skills aren't the best. In any event, I saw a few of the keezers with the temperature display on the front, awesome idea. I am not talking about the temp controller, just a LED display of the internal temperature.

Questions: Can anyone recommend a good temp monitor? Also, how do you go about connecting it to an AC plug? Thanks everyone!

maybe check out threads with "STC-1000" if that is what you are thinking. I'm sure there are other LED displays, but there are some threads that show how to wire this for cooling and heating (if desired)

Thanks guys, already have a temp controller. The Auberins look nice however I would need the inputs on the back instead of the bottom. The blue led one I saw is like $20 bucks however it is intended for a computer. Any other ideas?

Btw - leave it the noob (me) not to notice the thread below this one asking about a blue led temp gauge. Still not sure about the wiring, would love it if one of these was prewired for With an AC plug.

Thanks, saw those as well but they didn't get great reviews. Didn't even know about the stc until this post. Already purchased a Johnson temp controller.

I bought the Johnson first too, I have both a STC1000 controller and the Johnson controls.

I would highly recommend making a thermowell out of a old keg dip tube or something, just made one for myself a couple months ago and wish I had done it years ago. Way better that any other method of attaching the temp probe to the side of the bucket/carboy.

Here's a pic

photo2ty.jpg

hank1105 said:
Stupid question, why would I need a thermowell?

You'll get the best reading of the internal temp by submerging the probe in water (not as prone to temp swings). Depending on the style of the temp probe, it may not be able to be submerged. A thermowell allows you to surround the probe with water without actually being submerged.

I've been wondering if wrapping some sort of latex glove around the probe, then submersed in your liquid jug or whateer, would be a good cheap way of not having to use a thermowell. So -- a condom or a cut up kitchen glove might work? Seems like it could be a more accurate reading than a metal thermowell too.

I've been wondering if wrapping some sort of latex glove around the probe, then submersed in your liquid jug or whateer, would be a good cheap way of not having to use a thermowell. So -- a condom or a cut up kitchen glove might work? Seems like it could be a more accurate reading than a metal thermowell too.

No...just no.

For the power cord can I just cut a old computer power cord and use that?

I just have my probe submerged in a gallon of water... Is this a no-no? I haven't had any issues yet but its only been a few weeks

I sat a five gallon plastic cube on top of the compressor hump in my keezer to add thermal mass. I also secured the probe from the controller to the side of the plastic cube. I taped the probe to a 6 inch square of the reflex bubble insulation and then secured the insulation / temp probe sandwich to the cube with bungee cords.

About a week ago, I used my digital thermometer and checked the temp of two different kegs and the water in the cube. They were with in 0.5F of each other, with the cube being the coolest. The measurement of the cube was with in 0.2F of the setpoint. I run the keezer at 42F +- 2F with a single stage Johnson controller.

For a keezer, I think that taping the probe to the side of a container is fine... as long as you always have liquid at the level of the probe. I would believe in a fermentation chamber that using a thermowell might produce a better measurement, but from what I've read and heard in podcasts the temp delta is only a degree or two.

Back