How to

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JiHadJoe910

Reaction score
So, i just brewed my first batch on monday. I did everything to the exact specifications in the recipe and it has been over 24 hours and there is still no bubbles. Is there anything i can do to check if its fermenting? Also how would i go about making my own wortchiller?

Thanks in advance for any response!

William

Wait longer. It can take a while. You may not even see bubbles, ever.

Next Monday, take another gravity reading. Compare to the first you took. It should be lower. When it stops getting lower, your fermentation is pretty much done. It's probably going to go for 2-3 weeks in primary, and that's just a rule of thumb. Depends on what you brewed and temperature and other stuff.

The DIY section has tons of wort chiller threads. Simplest is a coiled copper tube with a hose on one end you can fit to a faucet and the other end is open to let the cooling water out.

Wait longer. It can take a while. You may not even see bubbles, ever.

Next Monday, take another gravity reading. Compare to the first you took. It should be lower. When it stops getting lower, your fermentation is pretty much done. It's probably going to go for 2-3 weeks in primary, and that's just a rule of thumb. Depends on what you brewed and temperature and other stuff.

The DIY section has tons of wort chiller threads. Simplest is a coiled copper tube with a hose on one end you can fit to a faucet and the other end is open to let the cooling water out.

Thanks!

On my 1st brew,I sprinkled the ale yeast on dry. Hardly any visible action to speak of. But it did work,albeit slowly. Had virtually no krausen to speak of. You could do a hydrometer test to see if it's dropping to eas your mind...

What kind of yeast did you use? And did it come in the mail, or did you pick it up at a LHBS? Just wondering if the yeast could have been slightly stressed. Like the other posters said, though- it's probably okay and may just take a while to get going. No bubbles doesn't necessarily mean no fermentation. Like Zuljin said, wait a few days and take another hydrometer reading. In the meantime, RDWHAHB.

As far as making a wort chiller, it is a very wise thing to do. You'll be surprised at how quickly you can cool your wort with an immersion chiller, and your beer will benefit. And making your own is definitely the way to go- it'll cost half as much as buying one. There are pretty good instructions here: http://www.notsoprofessionalbeer.com/2010/11/make-your-own-wort-chiller.html

The biggest piece of advice I can give you on the wort chiller build is to use a tubing bender- if you don't already have one, it's well worth the cost of buying one to make sure you don't crimp your copper into uselessness. You probably don't need to use the bender for the coil itself- just wrapping it around your cylindrical form should be fine- but you'll want to use the tool for anything approaching a 90-degree bend.

What kind of yeast did you use? And did it come in the mail, or did you pick it up at a LHBS? Just wondering if the yeast could have been slightly stressed. Like the other posters said, though- it's probably okay and may just take a while to get going. No bubbles doesn't necessarily mean no fermentation. Like Zuljin said, wait a few days and take another hydrometer reading. In the meantime, RDWHAHB.

As far as making a wort chiller, it is a very wise thing to do. You'll be surprised at how quickly you can cool your wort with an immersion chiller, and your beer will benefit. And making your own is definitely the way to go- it'll cost half as much as buying one. There are pretty good instructions here: http://www.notsoprofessionalbeer.com/2010/11/make-your-own-wort-chiller.html

The biggest piece of advice I can give you on the wort chiller build is to use a tubing bender- if you don't already have one, it's well worth the cost of buying one to make sure you don't crimp your copper into uselessness. You probably don't need to use the bender for the coil itself- just wrapping it around your cylindrical form should be fine- but you'll want to use the tool for anything approaching a 90-degree bend.

ok, please keep in mind that when you start using these abbreviations that i have no idea what you are talking about. but as for your question, yes i did get everything from my local brew store, the yeast that i used was a British liquid. as for the chiller, Thanks for the links and the advice! The tubing bender would be a good investment.

LHBS- Local HomeBrew Shop
RDWHAHB- Relax, Don't Worry, Have A HomeBrew

As for the yeast, I'm assuming you just pitched the vial? If so, it would have probably taken off faster if you'd made a starter for it, but you should be okay. Don't start worrying yet- in fact, I'll bet you get some airlock activity by tonight. And if not, wait a few days and take a grav reading, but don't worry about it until then.

yeah, i went by my LHBS today after class and he said it should kick off today.....i go home and low and behold it had kicked off! SO EXCITED.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

Back