One contactor makes louder hum than other...Problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgonza9

Reaction score
I have three identical DPST contactors.

I just wired the last one and it makes a louder "hum" than the other two. I guess it's not that different, but it's definitely louder.

A sign of something or no big deal? Here's how I wired it. The neutral wire does go to the other side of the device. I also tested the outlets it runs to and they work.

f2e29b4a.jpg

Are they din rail mount? If so check the mounting, it could be vibration. If that isnt it try turning it off and on serveral times listening to it each time, if it sounds different(quieter) its your coil. Doesnt mean its bad just a slight interior rattle.

One of my contactors will hum quite loud at times. If it does, I just turn it off and back on and it quiets right down. That is just to be expected with an electrically held contactor. It may get better after some "break in" time.

I had this same issue. It only happened twice when the contactors were new but a quick off and then on again made the loud hum go back to normal. Now that they have been used quite a few times it seems to have never done it again.

Back