High Original Gravity Reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9999USMC

Reaction score
I just finished brewing a “Jamil’s Chocolate Hazelnut Porter” kit from “more beer.” I took a sample before pitching my yeast and putting in my primary and the reading was off the chart (all the way to the bulb). My last three brews have been within normal range”

Any ideas?

:drunk: :drunk:

Was it AG or extract? Were there bubbles adhering to the hydrometer?

Edit: ok, so it was AG (I'm looking at morebeer now), maybe the hazelnut extract added a few points? What was your mash schedule like?

Edit of the Edit: ok, so it was extract. Also ignore the mash schedule part.

That is strange, though... Not a whole lot of fermentables, so the chocolate and hazelnut extract is my best guess, but i don't know. I'm sure somebody out there does, though.

In my job many times I run across a computer error that ends up being something simple, so I have learned to ask obvious questions first. Since this was in fact posted in the "Beginners Beer Brewing Forum," I hope you don't mind me asking something that will seem obvious but could explain what's going on. I also ask this because I did the exact same thing last batch, thought my OG was through the roof until I realized what I did.

Are you 100% sure the sample you took from the wort filled up enough of the sample tube? If you push down gently on the top of the hydrometer that's sticking out of the sample tube, does it go down? I'm just wondering if there was enough of a sample taken so the hydrometer is actually floating, and not simply resting on the bottom of the sample tube. Even if it means filling the sample tube all the way to the top and wasting a little bit of wort :( that spills over the top as you insert the hydrometer, that would ensure you're getting an accurate reading.

I'm sorry that you haven't had more help on this... The least I can do is give you a bump (I am curious myself). Also, it would be great if you tell us how it turns out, I am wondering what the FG will be like (and if you will have to add distiller's yeast or something to finish the fermentation!)

9999USMC said:
I took a sample before pitching my yeast and putting in my primary

Maybe a stupid question... but.. Does that "AND" mean you took the reading after your boil and before mixing with additional water in the primary?? That would probably explain a high gravity reading... atleast I think it would

If I read that wrong you can just ignore me.. hehe..

SpamDog

SpamDog said:
Maybe a stupid question... but.. Does that "AND" mean you took the reading after your boil and before mixing with additional water in the primary?? That would probably explain a high gravity reading... atleast I think it would

If I read that wrong you can just ignore me.. hehe..

SpamDog

Thats the first thing that comes to my mind.

- magno

Back