cloudy beer - why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOBTHEukBREWER

Reaction score
I made my normal recipe , all grain, but got it too hot at the start so mashing started at 73 deg C, I cooled it to 68 within 5 minutes. It has been bottled 2 months but it is still very cloudy, with slight improvement. It tastes fine. Only pale malt and a single hop. Does high mash temp cause cloudiness?

No, your mash temps weren't so crazy that you would have killed any enzymes.

Did you get a good hot and cold break? Also, what yeast did you use? I have trouble getting USO5 to clear. Finally, did you dry hop, and how much hops did you use? It could be chill haze or hop haze.

I always bottle after 7 days. No dry hops. I did not use my cooling coil after the boil as it was a cold day it cooled in 4 hours. Almost no sedimentation in bottles which is normal for me. I use the "blue" safale exclusively. Normally my beers are very clear. Thanks and a happy new year to all our readers.

I would recommend leaving the wort in the fermenter for more like 2 weeks. After only 7 days, the yeast isn't done cleaning up the mess it made from fermentation. This will in turn make your beer clearer.

I have debated time to bottle on here before, we have to agree to disagree. The point is that fermentation and bottling were standard for me and my beers come out very clear after a week in bottle. This one is different, I know not why....

Here's what works for me. I secondary (I know big debate there) and rack on to Knox Gelatine for 5 days. The result is crystal clear beer.:ban:

I've been brewing lately with the no-chill method and you'd be amazed at how much break material fall out after a day or two.
I think the difference in your beer this time is the cold break. Quickly chilling will cause it to drop fast, or a long slow chilling, will allow it to settle over time. Seems like you were in between both.

Back