Northern Brewer for a dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodovico

Reaction score
I have an American IPA that I am going to dry hop tonight. I have an ounce of Centennial which I know I'm going to use but I wanted to add an ounce of something else as well.

I have a fresh ounce of Northern Brewer at home and I was wondering how that combination might come out.

Anyone here dry hop an IPA with NB before??

I'm just not sure how the aroma comes through with this type of hop. I'm trying to imagine it with the citrus aroma of the centennial.

I guess there's really no chance of it coming out horrible, right? I was just hoping to hear from someone that has used it to dry hop.

I've done it before and it turned out well in my California Common Clone. When I toured Anchor Steam, they mentioned that they dry-hop with NB (which is what lead to my experiment).

I've done it before and it turned out well in my California Common Clone. When I toured Anchor Steam, they mentioned that they dry-hop with NB (which is what lead to my experiment).

Cool. Gonna give it a go.

Lodovico --- I know this is a long time ago but how did your IPA with Northern Brewer dry-hop turn out? I'm doing a little experiment IPA/APA with constant Columbus-Cascade during boil but wanted to do all earthy, aroma dry hops with some leftover US Goldings and Northern Brewer.

I tossed 0.5 oz into 6g of a basic saison that's in the later stages of primary. Has anyone had positive experiences dry hopping with Northern Brewer?

That IPA was the only time I'd done and it was supposed to be a Simcoe substitute but it wasn't near as good as the batch I did next go-round with Simcoe in dry hop :)

Might work better when building on a Northern Brewer style like California Common with adding a dry hop touch instead of putting on top of a Columbus-Cascade-Amarillo base.

Back