Cold Conditioning Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fixie

Reaction score
I bottled a wheat beer about a two weeks ago with 3/4 cup of priming sugar. The bottles are conditioning at about 53 degrees, which is the temp in my house brrr. I am worried that this may be a little cold for the yeast to do there thing. I am hoping they will carbonate I just figure it will take a long time, 4-5 weeks perhaps. Any thoughts?

I have the same issues in my home this winter. Mine did not get that low (around 60 in my closet) but it did in fact slow my stuff way down. I had a Hefe that was still rolling at 4 weeks. I finally had to move my aging bottles to a closet in my living room. This brought the temp up to around 67 and they seem to be working a lot better.

I am about to start working on a hutch that will be placed in my living room (which will look like a regular piece of furniture when closed up) and will be able to keep the brew in a more controlled temp.

There are also folks out there that will use a hot box with a thermostat and heating element to help with this. In my experience once the temp goes below 63 things start slowing way down.

Good luck......

Can you put them in a cupboard with a bare filliment light bulb? This will increase the ambient tempreture by a usefull amount.
If you put a thermometer in it then you can regulate the temperature it by changing the wattage of the bulb or venting the cupboard.

I can put the beer in a warmer room in my house but the temperature fluctuation is quite crazy, 54-70. My house is heated by wood stoves so it is hard to keep a good constant temp. Do you guys think I would be better to keep warmer but with lots of temp fluctuation or keep them cold at a constant temp and wait it out. I will look to see if I can do the light bulb and cover thing sounds like a good idea to me. Do just lets the light bulb sit in with the beer or do you try to cover the light with something so it is not as bright. Thanks for the help.

Back