Summit Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
Hey guys, so what's the deal with Summit Hops? Seems relatively new and people seem to love it, yet I can't really find info as to what it's like or what it resembles (ie. cascade, fuggle?) or what style of beer it is best suited for. Could someone fill me in? Thanks!

Hey guys, so what's the deal with Summit Hops? Seems relatively new and people seem to love it, yet I can't really find info as to what it's like or what it resembles (ie. cascade, fuggle?) or what style of beer it is best suited for. Could someone fill me in? Thanks!

Summits are great IPA hops and APA if you can get them. They have a very strong citrus note to them but I seem to recall that it was sweeter, like the difference between an orange and a tangerine. They are similar to alot of the c-hops.

Really an interesting new hop; they are a dwarf strain and aren't harvested mechanically as a result. That combined with the fact that they are exclusively marketed and sold via a single company (still true...BSG?), they are hard to find at times.

I bought 3oz of summit about 1 year ago. I used all three in IPAs. I get a strong tangerine note from them. Plus they are 16.7% alpha acid, which means I can bitter a big IPA with about 1oz.

I bought mine from Northerbrewer.com

I use them for the bittering charge in some APAs and sometimes for flavor too, they mix well with cascades in an APA.

I bought a half bound from freshops last year and LOVED THEM! Now i can't seem to find them for a reasonable price anywhere.

The tangerine flavor of these hops is AMAZING. I haven't tasted a hop like it before, it's just WOW WOW WOW knock out good stuff for an IPA!

I couldn't believe the aroma when I cut open the bag of Summit hops tonight. It was intense and citrusy. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this IPA turns out.

Back