Generic yeast to use for stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivzavod

Reaction score
I've read that Lalvin Ec 1118 wine making yeast is a good yeast to add to your stuck fermentation and that it doesnt add any yeast specific flavors to your beer. Can someone confirm or recommend some generic ale / lager yeasts I should get in case I do get a stuck fermentation some day.

Lalvin EC 1118 is great for a stuck fermentation. Keep one around. Chances of a stuck fermentation are lower than you think but if you get one its great for it.

I do use EC1118 often, but never for beer. It can ferment up to 15-18% ABV, so I would think it would make a beer WAY too dry. I'd keep that out of my beer, unless I was making a huge beer that needed the overattenuation. Maybe like a big barley wine with an OG of 1.125. Never for regular ale.

I'd keep nottingham on hand for beer. It's a great, neutral, "go-to" yeast if your liquid yeast doesn't take off or you have a stuck fermentation.

I don't know of a good lager yeast that would be a good neutral yeast for lagers. Maybe just more of the same yeast already pitched, but in a bigger, fresher starter.

Lalvin EC 1118 is great for a stuck fermentation. Keep one around. Chances of a stuck fermentation are lower than you think but if you get one its great for it.

I think its better to be safe then sorry. I dont have any LHBS anywhere near me so if it does happen I'd rather have spent $0.79 beforehand then possibly ruining a $30 kit or rush to order one from online.

Latest posts

Back