Grain bed optimization & rice hulls

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dalpets

Reaction score
Hi,

Is it OK to add rice hulls to a non-wheat/high gravity mash to increase the minimal depth of a grain bed containing only malted barley grains?.

If it is Ok what is the recommended maximum ratio of hulls to grain.

Thanks

You typically use rice hulls with grains like wheat, rye, etc., grains that typically have a problem with lautering and yielding stuck mashes. I've used them once and didn't have any problems. Now, when I use those types of grains, I do a protein rest around 122 for 20 minutes and never have any issues. I honestly don't see a reason for rice hulls. If you want to use them, go for about 8 ounces to 1# tops per batch.

You know I just used rice hulls for the first time on Friday and I got to say I drained off my mash as quick as it could flow, sure most of the batches I have done didn't need them, but I think if your having problems with stuck sparges throw in a couple of hand fulls it can't hurt and it will save you some headaches if you are having stuck sparges. I used them on the last batch because I had 50% wheat in the grain bill but I have enough rice hulls stocked up I'll probably start putting them in my barley malt batches as well for extra filtering material as I tend to crush on the fine side.

Some people (like Biermuncher) use a 1/2# in many of their batches, just to make sure they don't get a stuck sparge. I don't know of any adverse effects in that quantity.

Is Maris Otter more prone to stuck sparges than good ole american 2-row? I had a recipe yesterday that was MO, Aromatic and some crystal and I got my first stuck sparge ever... I ended up dumping everything out into a bucket to see if something happened to my braid (not) then dumping everything back in and adding nearly all of my sparge water into the cooler with it...I let it sit for 20 minutes and drained, adding more sparge water till I hit my volume...

Surprisingly despite the problem, I hit my numbers perfectly...

Are we supposed to use a different water/grain ration than the usual 1.25/pound? I just followed what beersmith told me....:confused:

I was thinking about ricehulls while this was happenning yesterday.

Is Maris Otter more prone to stuck sparges than good ole american 2-row?...Are we supposed to use a different water/grain ration than the usual 1.25/pound?...
I never had any changes in lautering when I switched to Maris Otter. I didn't change my mill settings and I used the same water:grain ratios that I had originally established in the recipes. Maybe you just had one of those days? ;)

I never had any changes in lautering when I switched to Maris Otter. I didn't change my mill settings and I used the same water:grain ratios that I had originally established in the recipes. Maybe you just had one of those days? ;)

Yeah....I figured it was either that or something to do with how I have my circular braid attached, it might be wearing out....But yeah, it was one of those kinda brewing sessions:rolleyes: I was pleasantly surprised though when my preboil gravity and my SG matched what Beersmith said they should....

Of course I'll probably never ever have that level of efficiency again....

I had my first stuck sparge today also. I think it was due to the rye. luckily it was at the end of the 1st sparge so when I back filled for the 2nd it blew clear. I ran the 2nd sparge slower. 2nd sparge runnings gravity was a little higher than I wanted but total eff. was the best to date. Except for the minor stick and my umbrella breaking:( it was a good brew.

Back