Just Got a 35.5 GALLON Brew Pot - Now What?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Short Version: I have a 35.5 gallon pot with no valve/thermometer/sightglass. Is there anything I can do with a pot that large or will I be wasting time, space, propane, etc? I brew 5 gallon all-grain batches but I have a 10 gallon mash tun so I have the ability to do 10 gallon batches.

Long Version: I have been watching Craigslist for a 15 gallon brew pot for the past few weeks and finally found someone who was selling a brand new 62 Qt stainless steel stock pot from Bayou Classic. When I get to the pickup location, the guy opens his trunk up and shows me this ridiculously huge pot. I said "wow, that looks way bigger than 15.5 gallons". To which he replied "it's 62 quarts". Without telling him that 62 quarts was 15.5 gallons, I said "there's no way I can use that. It's just too big". I was going to walk away but he offered it to me for $40 and I decided to give it a chance at that price point. I got it home tonight, measured it and found the model on Bayou Classic's website...turns out it's a 35.5 gallon pot!

So what do I do with a pot this size? Start a commercial nano brewery?? Can I even brew a 5 gallon batch in this? Am I going to waste propane heating up a pot this size? It's 21.5 inches wide and 22.5 inches tall.

Open a nano brewery.
Seal the top and float over the niagra falls in it.
Use it as a sidecar on your motorcycle, perfect pet size.
Sell it for profit.
Excellent idea from above, donate to your homebrew club for group brews.

Best advice of all ... see if a local soup kitchen or church or other group has need of it and donate it there.

I have one of those pots and was kind of In the same boat. Was looking for a 15 or 20 and fount the giant one for a lot less money. I have made 2 20g batches and have to say it takes one heck of a burner to get it to a boil, it actually froze my propane tank and couldn't frrd the burner fast enough. I think im going to put my lp tank in my HLT next time to keep it warmer. And I also learned that I don't have enough other big stuff for the cooling side of things. If u make one thing bigger u have to make it all bigger. I'm not giving up on it but thing I am going to go electric BIAB but also keep my 3v 5g propane setup.

Back