forgot to aerate the wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohad

Reaction score
I made my very first batch of all-grain, after several extract batches, and all went well. The one small thing I forgot to do is to airate the wort. I usually do this by giving the wort several minutes of generous stirring and splashing in the fermenter when already cool.
this small error is driving me insane...
I smelled the bubbles thats coming out of the air lock, and it smells excellent, but way too fruity , like very ripe peaches. (about 24 hours after fermentation began)

a little more info:
its quite a simple pale ale, with 250g acidulated malt and cascade hops.
the fermentation temp is 17C

what problems can evolve from under airating the wort?
Is there a connection between low oxygen and ester production?

any other ideas or comments are welcome

ohad said:
what problems can evolve from under airating the wort?....

.....any other ideas or comments are welcome

Low amount of aeration will result in a slow fermentation start. Not a big deal if you sanitize well. The yeast will aerate on their own.

Don't worry about this. One way to get around this is to cut a few holes in your syphon tube right above a slide-on clamp or hose shut-off near to the discharge so as to cause turbulance/aeration. Forcing the wort to exit at the cut-outs above the stopage. Anything to redirect the flow and cause aeration at syphoning is good. You can always give the primary a good bunch of swirls or a few up/down shakes after pitching the yeast - then insert the airlock.

:mug:

Relax, your beer will be fine. Just be patient.

I usually don't aerate the wort. It just gets what air infuses into the wort when I siphon into the primary. I also just sprinkle on dry yeast and don't stir it in. Fermentation is starts in 8 hours and usually finishes up in three days or so for a pale ale.

aeration is a good idea. a lot of people, including myself, use a pure oxygen tank and a stainless airstone to boost oxygen.

it results in a healthier yeast, and a shorter lag time.

you're only at 62 degrees...that's a little chilly for some ale yeast. I don't think the peach smell is anything to worry about. never smelled peach esters, so I think its just your beer.

malkore said:
aeration is a good idea. a lot of people, including myself, use a pure oxygen tank and a stainless airstone to boost oxygen.

it results in a healthier yeast, and a shorter lag time.

you're only at 62 degrees...that's a little chilly for some ale yeast. I don't think the peach smell is anything to worry about. never smelled peach esters, so I think its just your beer.

+1 on using oxygen. Fast and easy. Plus I leave the red bottle near to where I pitch the yeast. Kind of hard to forget..

I'm kind of behind the curve on aeration myself. I will probably get an Oxygen setup next. I have found that making a good sized yeast starter overcomes a lot of
aeration sins. still, everything I read points to the importance of aerating full boil brewing.

I use a wort wizard and have never had issues it aerates the wort nicely, If it's a particulary high gravity batch then I use an aquarium pump with a stone for about 15 min (usually set it while I clean the keggle then pitch after cleanup is done)

Latest posts

Back