Size of the hole for the "Tower"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPBISME

Reaction score
I have everything I need now to assemble my Keezer.

The Tower's inside dimenstion is three (3) inches in diameter.

I have a hole-saw that is 2.5 inches in diameter and I think I need to get a 3 inch to properly drill cut the hole so it is as wide as the inside diameter..

Is this correct?

I have everything I need now to assemble my Keezer.

The Tower's inside dimenstion is three (3) inches in diameter.

I have a hole-saw that is 2.5 inches in diameter and I think I need to get a 3 inch to properly drill cut the hole so it is as wide as the inside diameter..

Is this correct?

I just finished mine last weekend and I used a 1 3/4" hole for my 3" diameter tower. It's barely enough to get the 3 lines through for my taps. Hindsight I probably should have went bigger to get some circulation up there because the first couple of ounces are warm after the keezer has set a while.

[...]I have a hole-saw that is 2.5 inches in diameter and I think I need to get a 3 inch to properly drill cut the hole so it is as wide as the inside diameter..Is this correct?

Well, yes, if you're going to sweat a 1/4" radius difference...

Cheers!

I used a 2.5 hole saw and it works great. Plenty or room for two lines, a cooling line

I used a 2.5 hole saw and it works great. Plenty or room for two lines, a cooling line

Thanks....

I am thinking about buying a 3 Inch since I am going to build a couple of these.

The plan: (which I saw someone else do) is to run the lines through a copper pipe that goes to the top of the tower to about 5 or 6 inches in the Keezer.

The tower will then be insulated.

The idea being that the copper will act as a Heat-Sink" and keep the lines cool.

At least when having a party and lots of beer is running through it.

DPB

That is a good theory. Couldn't cost more than a few bucks and shouldn't have any negative sude effects.

that is my plan too. I'm going to embed the copper lines in some 2" pvc pipe filled with spray foam. that pvc will have some insulation around it as well. should keep everything nice and cool without a fan.

that is my plan too. I'm going to embed the copper lines in some 2" pvc pipe filled with spray foam. that pvc will have some insulation around it as well. should keep everything nice and cool without a fan.

Hummmm.... I had not thought of that...

I think that might be a good idea since then you will have a "sleve" inside the tower that can be removed a cleaned out easily instead of digging the insulation out of the tower....

Taking your idea a little further I might use a cardboard tube.

Thinking.... thinking....

SO when it is time to replace the tubing you pull the whole thing out, take off the connectors and toss it in the trash, tube, insulation, and all.... THEN replace it...

I think this is a great idea because that foam can be crappy to work with once in place.

I used a 2.5" hole saw and it was perfect. I'd be careful of going much bigger than that as I easily get a .25" wiggle when drilling with a hole saw. These aren't the easiest holes to make -- you'll probably go through sheet metal, fiberglass insulation, and plastic... at least I did (and the bottom plastic part of the keezer cover looked like crap at the end).

On the plus side -- no more party taps and messes all over the bottom of my keezer!

On a side note -- what have you done for drip trays around the tower? Right now I have a paper towel and I don't want to spend another ~$80 on a metal, cut-out tray. I was thinking of spending (probably at least $80) on a Shapeways 3-D printed tray that would fit perfectly... but the learning curve (vs. time to learn) has put that idea on hold. (The benefit would be personalization and spending the $80 on something that's not just cheap, cut sheet metal).

For a drip tray on my keezer, I used this http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/driptray/flush/FDT-5508-ND.shtml
It's only $32 and I think it looks better than a normal tray that sits on top of the keezer.

2h6tt3n.jpg

Thanks! I'm not sure if the flush drip tray will work well for my setup...

I'm planning on adding a tower in the future, but for now one is enough. My freezer fits four kegs and I'd like one for wine... but my regulator only has two gas lines right now. Heck... nitro is a possibility for the future too, but all of it's in the far future! A big freezer is nice to have, though!

Back