Blew a Lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WYOBrews

Reaction score
Well, I knew better but I didn't hook up my blow off tube last night. I came home from work today and my lid had blown off of my bucket. I ferment in a spare shower, so the mess didn't bother as much as the thought of a wasted batch because of my stupidity. I figured since my OG was 1.060 I'd be ok. Live and learn I guess. I'm not going to dump it though. I'll leave it in the bucket a few weeks and see how it is. I'm crossing my fingers. Anyone else have a similar experience with any good luck? I need some feel good news!

We had the Krausen of one of our brews creep into (and dry inside) of the air lock overnight. My buddy said when it blew the stopper out it sounded like a shot gun went off and he couldn't help but think someone was breaking in and blowing things up. It blew the stopper clean out and broke the airlock on the ceiling.

JCourtland said:
You should be fine, it has happen to me a few times and each time the brew came out just fine.

Thanks JC! I'm hoping for the best! I hope you're right!

I had read about blowoffs before & had always thought it was the airlock which was blown off. However, a couple of batches ago I had a furious fermentation going on & one morning I entered my garage to see the lid blown off my bucket. As hard as they are to get off, I couldn't believe the LID blew off! I just cleaned up, stuck the lid back on & I just tapped the keg today & it is delicious! Hang in there

When you guys have lids blow like that does it seem to take foe ever for airlock activity to stop? It happened to my ipa and I had to wait forever to get airlock activity to slow enough to dry hop, my fg also seemed low...hopefully caused by residual co2 messing up the reading

When you guys have lids blow like that does it seem to take foe ever for airlock activity to stop? It happened to my ipa and I had to wait forever to get airlock activity to slow enough to dry hop, my fg also seemed low...hopefully caused by residual co2 messing up the reading

Nope. After I put the lid back on it was business as usual. BTW, glad to see another brewer from Kokomo.

Great news to hear from everyone. I couldn't beleive it when I got home and saw it either. I asked the wife if she heard anything and she said she thought something fell over and couldn't find anything. She said she never thought to look at my beer :( Oh well!

I agree, as hard as those things are to get off I didn't think I'd ever see one get blown off (especially not my own!)! It must have been loud as hell!

The ferment has slowed and looks good now! I'll wait it out and keg it in three or four weeks! I'll post results! Thanks everyone!

Back