what type of beer, cream ale i think not..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceroadbrew

Reaction score
Hello

Recently started brewing. This was my first recipe and it is on its second week of fermenatation. I felt skeptical off the bat whether this was actually a cream ale when the IBU range was well over 30. Just listened to an old Jamil show about cream ale and he specified it should be "lightly hopped" at no more than 17 IBU's. He also specifically noted not to use a citrusy bold hop like cascade!

and the colour should be pretty much straw like. The grain bill he explained had half pilsner and as you can see the bill on this recipe is mostly 2row. The colour in the fermenter looks more like a brown ale, much darker than straw!. The only thing I have done differently in this recipe is use nottingham dry yeast. here is the recipe:
http://www.beertools.com/html/recipe.php?view=535

My question is what will this beer classified as? thoughts anyone?

Thanks

I used to drink sleemans on college trips to Canada and this recipe seems in line with my memories. It was a darker and hoppier beer than the American examples. Nio the first time a brewery sells a beer that's out of classic specs. Not too bad a drink compared to the labatts and molson alternatives.

ha yah id take a sleemans over molson and labatts any day, although im pretty sure if i do a side by side with sleemans and this home batch there going to differ quite a bit!

Maize is the native name for corn,so use one or the other. But light &/or extra light malts would give the straw gold color.

It will always look darker in the fermenter. Just the way it is. So don't worry about that part. On the other hand, as Yoop says, looks much more like a Pale Ale than a Cream Ale. Only the corn throws it.

Relax, you made beer. :mug:

Back