Perlick 545 PC with Flow control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you know, I just bought six 525ss faucets from you, how dare you taunt me with these.

Have you used them? how do they work?

I don't know if they would make a stainless version, it would be $80-$90. I am disappointed that Perlick doesn't have anything on their site.

Will this fit on a tap tower shank? I think I read somewhere that this faucet has some parts that extend past the threads in the back. Maybe you guys can post some detailed pictures of the back and front.

Thanks!

There is a ball on the back of the faucet that extends into the shank, this looks to be how flow is controlled. You can move the control arm all the way up and it actually hits the shank effectively reducing flow to almost nothing.

I will post some pictures in a little, I'm waiting for my camera's battery to charge.

Here I attached some pictures. The first one is full flow, the second would be the lowest/closed flow and the third is attached to a 1.75" shank with the flow control valve closed.

full flowJPG.jpg

Low flow.jpg

shank.jpg

The euro version Northern Brewer sells had some kind of issue where it can't be placed in certain configurations but I think this is a different example of the same kind of tap. More information is required, i.e. someone needs to kick down for one and review it thoroughly.

Thanks for the pictures! It does look like this may work with the shanks on a standard tap tower but like Irrenarzt said until someone throws down the cash to try it we can't be 100%. If it does work I'll be purchasing 1.

Thanks!

We've had a few purchased already so maybe someone can review it.

I am pretty sure these will work on a standard tap tower, the shanks have the sane design on the front end where the faucet connects.

Let see if the guys who purchased these review them.

Just placed my order, will let you guys know how they pan out with 5ft of 3/16 beer line.

theres another thread about these faucets here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/new-perlick-faucet-251615/

i have them installed, they seem to work pretty good. i have an overcarbed cream ale that i would get nothing but foam on with my normal faucets. you can turn these down to just a trickle, and get a normal head. it takes time to pour a pint this way though, maybe a minute. they drip much less than my cheap faucets, and no sticking so thats great. i plan to add some longer beer lines in the future, but for now, these are working great. the only downfall is having to wait for a slower pour, but these will be nice when going with a higher carbonation level for heffes, etc.

I bought one of these from MoreBeer (sorry John, it was before you had them), I can answer most of your questions:

- Inner diameter is not the same as the 525, bowie bottler will not work. It's smaller, the bowie will not insert. I even tried with just one set of o-rings, no luck.
- I have poured a few beers (including one that was overcarbed) with good results. I've currently got mine pouring soda (25 psi) on a 4' line. Nothing but good things to report with the function right now.
- You can install them on a standard shank. You lose some of the range of motion of the adjustment lever, but that is by design - you only need the extra range for disassembly, and you won't be taking it apart with it's on the shank.
- I spoke with an engineer at Perlick about the above and about an SS model. Perlick is currently waiting on a small run of samples from a SS batch. If they're happy with the product, they're going to go into full production. It wouldn't be before summertime.

Any other questions let me know. It's a great faucet, I'm planning to switch all mine over as soon as I can get my hands on SS versions.

Nice. I'm a patient man and don't mind waiting for a stainless variant. I only need one to replace a 425. I'll leave my keezers alone as they have 525SS and 575SS in place with 10 foot 3/16" line so I have no flow control issues. But on my kegerator with a single tap, this would be a nice addition.

Sorry about the misinformation about the inside diameter of the faucet, it looks identical to the 525's and I was just going on looks.

It looked to me like it could be a match, but it wasn't... The first thing I did when the package came in was bust out the digital calipers to check.

That said, you can adjust the flow to a really slow rate and bottle with these pretty well, even without the bowie. It takes a while but I've had positive results.

- Inner diameter is not the same as the 525, bowie bottler will not work. It's smaller, the bowie will not insert. I even tried with just one set of o-rings, no luck.

Hmmm...isn't the 425 smaller than the 525? I know Bowie makes a version (different o rings I think) for the 425.

Is there any way to get the actual specs of that faucet (can you measure the ID for instance?) I'd like to check in and see if it's adaptable. Maybe not, but it's worth investigating.

Incidentally, other than looking shinier, what is the big advantage to going SS? Is there a durability issue with the plated ones? I've had the cheap faucets for years, and other than the sticky/mold issues from being back-sealing, they seem to have held up fine. I would expect the SS flow-control ones to be really pricey!

Just for the record, I got info from the manufacturer on the IDs of various Perlick faucets. Here's what they they told me:

425ss beer faucet has .381” inside spout diameter.
525ss beer faucet has .422” inside spout diameter.
545pc beer faucet has .393” (or 10mm) inside spout diameter.

been using these for a few months now, and i like them a lot. have a dunkel at 14 pounds and i can adjust to form any amount of head i desire. if someone made that little insert for one of these so we could bottle off the tap, it would work great because you could control the flow.

I must have gotten a bad set. I bought 2 to replace the standard faucets that came with my conversion kit. They foam uncontrollably. It doesn't matter how I set the flow: glass full of foam. And they drip.

Switching back to my standard faucets and returning these.:mad:

I ended up having a lot of trouble with them too. When I use them thru the wall of my keezer and the beer/lines/faucet all stayed cold, they worked great. When I moved my taps to my kitchen wall (cooling the lines and the box behind them with the micromatic blower) I get nothing but foam. Faucets are a little warmer now than they were when they were in the keezer, but with normal 525SS the beer pours great.

Hi, First post here.

I have a Perlick 525SS and am looking to add a second tap handle.

I was considering this 545PC-from experience, does the PC mean chrome plated brass? I was wondering if there was a 545SS?

Thanks in advance!

As far as I know, there is no 545SS. From my contact at Perlick, I know that they did an initial run of them that did not meet Perlick's standards. I am unsure if they ever got a successful run produced, but I never heard of one.

Also to follow up on earlier posts: I still use the 545PC's thru the wall of my kegerator with great results. I still cannot get them to work with my kitchen taps, which pour from a box kept cold by a blower, without excessive foam. I think these are a great option for keezers, but I don't think I'd recommend them for anyone pouring from a tower or other setup.

thats odd. i am using 2 on my keezer tower, no problems. plan to build a coller some day and add a couple more.

Back