Wyeast vs. White labs vs. dry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Us-05 might have originally been the Chico strain but the drying process changed it. It doesn't make it bad, just different. Personally I prefer the liquid version in lighter flavored beers. But in an IPA or a big stout I always use US-05.

Based on my experience, US-05 produces more fruity esters (particularly peach and apricot) and doesn't flocculate as well as WLP 001. It's still one of the better dry yeasts out there in my opinion, but I generally go with liquid these days.

I have done side by side tests splitting a 12 gal batch into thirds, and pitching S-05, WLP001, and Wyeast 1056 with equal pitching rates, and neither myself or any of my ~7 beer snob friends could tell any difference between them. I've performed this test twice, and the result has been the same each time. I did try the same comparison when I first started brewing and got slightly different flavors, but I later realized that the pitching rates had been slightly different. IMO, if you're getting differing results between any of the three Chico strains, there are likely small differences in conditions that are causing it.

I have used both side by side(liquid and dry) and for me I can tell a difference. I prefer the liquid hands down. Now for just a house ale dry would be more than fine. Everyone has there own tastes and you the brewer must decide if the added cost is worth it. Do a side by side test and you will form your own opinion on this subject.

WLP001/WY1056/S-05. I can't tell the difference. That doesn't mean there is no difference, just that I can't spot it.
WLP002/WY1968/S-04. I can't tell the difference between 002 and 1968, but S-O4 (the closest dry yeast to the liquids) is nothing like as good to my taste. Then again S-04 is supposed to be a different strain than the other 2.
WLP013/WY1028. Supposed to be the same strain. I like WY1028, but find WLP013 to be bland and not at all pleasant. No dry equivalent that I am aware of.
WLP023. Awesome! Haven't tried the WY equivalent, and I'm not aware of a dry equivalent.
Nottingham. Haven't found a liquid equivalent.

-a.
If you combine these two posts I think you get closer to the truth. It is always interesting to read the results of blind taste tests. I remember one where they were testing the long primary times to see if autolysis was real or not. ONE guy was able to correctly pick it up. Same for simulating decoction by throwing in some melenoiden malt. It seems someone always has a sensitive enough palate to tell. So, it depends on who you are brewing for. In the end it is cooking and you need to cook to taste.

Based on my experience, US-05 produces more fruity esters (particularly peach and apricot) and doesn't flocculate as well as WLP 001. It's still one of the better dry yeasts out there in my opinion, but I generally go with liquid these days.

glad I wasn't the only one who was getting moderate to mild apricot notes in my s05 beers.

the moderate notes were before I realized how important proper ferm temps are. once I figured that out, I used the big bucket filled with water and frozen water bottles; that help keep it at bay, but I could still taste some peach/apricot notes. this was also before I made starters, once I started making starters, I have noticed consistent fermentation #s with very little to no off flavors.

I have not used s05 since, nor have I gotten any peach/apricot notes. I would be open to using it again as a cost saver, the increased cell count is also a plus for me (don't have to make the starter so far out from brew day).

on another note, I made a s23 starter for the last light lager I did prior to brewing on brew day (about 7 to 8 hours prior to pitching). looking back, I should have done it earlier (I forgot), but I did not get any off flavors or green apple notes. I also ended up dumping the whole starter in the wort, as the yeast hadn't separated yet...

Which one produces the best tasting beer and why? For the past 8 months or so I've been using White labs with pretty good results, but I'm curious as to what everyone thinks about the different manufacturers and styles.

There are excellent yeasts available from Wyeast, White Labs, Danstar, and others...regardless of whether they are dry or liquid. There are more options with liquid yeasts. No brand is better than another...just more options. The only thing that makes a given yeast great is the beer that's made from it. One brewer's recipe and style may make an OK beer and another brewer's recipe and style may result in an excellent beer with the same yeast.

So, the answer to your question is NONE and BECAUSE. :)

I use dry, most often. I get great results with it, so why change? I only use liquid when I need a specific profile that I cannot find in a dry yeast. I do rehydrate the dry yeast. And, on the few occasions I do use liquid yeast, I make an appropriate starter.

Mike

glad I wasn't the only one who was getting moderate to mild apricot notes in my s05 beers.

the moderate notes were before I realized how important proper ferm temps are. once I figured that out, I used the big bucket filled with water and frozen water bottles; that help keep it at bay, but I could still taste some peach/apricot notes. this was also before I made starters, once I started making starters, I have noticed consistent fermentation #s with very little to no off flavors.

I have not used s05 since, nor have I gotten any peach/apricot notes. I would be open to using it again as a cost saver, the increased cell count is also a plus for me (don't have to make the starter so far out from brew day).

on another note, I made a s23 starter for the last light lager I did prior to brewing on brew day (about 7 to 8 hours prior to pitching). looking back, I should have done it earlier (I forgot), but I did not get any off flavors or green apple notes. I also ended up dumping the whole starter in the wort, as the yeast hadn't separated yet...

A lot has changed since I posted what I posted in 2011....

I had the same issues and stopped using 05 was well, I've opted for BRY-97 as my goto yeast.

I don't know when it happened but I started noticing it was producing a "stone fruit" flavor in low grav or "light colored" beers. Like peach flavors. It wasn't noticeable in darker beers (at least initially.)

I think Safale changed the yeast or something...I still used it for darker ales, but then it became prevalent in all their beers. I thought it was maybe because I was using it to hot, so I made sure I was using it at the low end of the "safe" range, and it was there across the board.

So I stopped using it altogether.

I JUST used it recently because I noticed they had changed their packaging and thought maybe the strain altered again... but I didn't want to risk it with something "clean" so I used it with a very hoppy IPA... I didn't really notice stone fruit, but again I intentionally used it in something that would hide it.

I'm staying with BRY-97 for most ales that don't require a character from the yeast.... Don't know if I'll switch back to 05 or not....

Back