The MaxOut Brew Station

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First off, incredible build. I had already stolen a few ideas for my own. I had been thinking about rigging up a hand truck for pumping/chilling/oxygenation, when I found yours. Exactly what I had in mind. Have you had a chance to put together a build list? Any tips or pointers on building something like this? I will primarily be working with 5-15 gallon batches, I assume the sizing of everything would work fine with that size of a batch. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks for the inspiration!

parkerhd36 said:
First off, incredible build. I had already stolen a few ideas for my own. I had been thinking about rigging up a hand truck for pumping/chilling/oxygenation, when I found yours. Exactly what I had in mind. Have you had a chance to put together a build list? Any tips or pointers on building something like this? I will primarily be working with 5-15 gallon batches, I assume the sizing of everything would work fine with that size of a batch. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks for the inspiration!

Thank you, I never really put together a build list for the brew cart but with the pictures you can see all the parts. Aside from the Chugger pump the majority of the stainless was purchased from Glacier Tanks. My only advice is to keep the pump at the lowest point and all is good. If you need some close ups or specific info I would be glad to get it for you.

MaxOut,

Sorry if this is a repeat:
Which sizes of the Glacier tank conical do you have? Are they the 50 gal? IF so, do you know if there's any consumer based freezer that'll those will fit in?

Do you know the difference between the "commercial" and "consumer" (uni) 50 gallon conical?

Thanks very much.

Mine are the 25 gallon. Actual volume is 31 gallon. You will be hard pressed to find a consumer freezer that will house a 50 gallon fermenter. The 50 gallon were not much more money than the 25 but I went with the 25 just for that reason. If you really need the 50 gallon a good option would be a small walk in freezer. You can find them used all the time on Craigslist for under 1k. Walk in boxes are just metal skinned panels and can be cut down to any size. I'm in the market for one now to consolidate my aging and serving kegs.

Hello, I have been visiting HBT for several months while building my all grain brew system and have finally decided to share what I call the MaxOut Brew Station. Many thanks go out to others who post here who have helped inspire me too many to mention. I have had a lot of fun building and brewing on this project and it will continue to be a work in progress. When I started this I had no idea I would go to the extent I did with virtually no actual brewing experience other than a couple of attempts with small brew kits years ago. The one thing I did know is that I love beer, love to cook and love to build things so the sickness set in rather quickly consuming all of my free time. I have read thousands of posts on this forum, brew Wiki from beginning to end and every available piece of information I could get my hand on since I started this project. At several point’s it seemed I analyzed till I was paralyzed and almost threw in the towel. I am a huge Moosehead fan and have had it on tap in my garage for many years. It became harder for me to find a reliable source to provide fresh Moosehead kegs and as each dried up I kept the last keg and moved on. Over time I had acquired 3 Euro kegs and this is when I decided to research if they could be used for something useful and how I stumbled into brewing. So officially in October of 2010 I decided I was going to build a 3 vessel, HERMS, single tier, all grain, brew system and the project began.

I originally was looking at a Brutis 10 style stand but since it had all ready been done so many times I decided I wanted something different with work space attached. So I focused on the vessels’ first and would worry about the stand as I went along. Based on information gathered here I also decided some of the minimum vessel requirements for the system I intended to build. I wanted to go completely stainless, tig welded couplers, stainless heat exchanger, camLoks, silicone tubing and min ½” plumbing. Well this is how it went….

AWESOME build man!!! Looks great!!

With some mods you may be able to get it to fit. Make sure you leave room for the thermoprobe in front, extra height for reinforcing the floor, and fittings on top. The 50 gallon fermenter will weigh over 600lbs when full standing on three points is allot of pressure.

I have to add my wow... Wow!!! Max I am just starting our with AG and have been looking for someone who has built what I want to build and finally I came across this thread.. I too want to be semi automated and use gas.. Your set up (Pre Steroids!) is exactly what I want to do.. I hope you wont mind sharing some info with me on your BCS wiring and gas and valve set up... IT is exactly what I want to build.. Congrats and thanks for sharing!!!

Bru-noob said:
I have to add my wow... Wow!!! Max I am just starting our with AG and have been looking for someone who has built what I want to build and finally I came across this thread.. I too want to be semi automated and use gas.. Your set up (Pre Steroids!) is exactly what I want to do.. I hope you wont mind sharing some info with me on your BCS wiring and gas and valve set up... IT is exactly what I want to build.. Congrats and thanks for sharing!!!

I would be happy to share what ever you need. I could even send you my BCS files for you to use as guidelines. Depending on your wiring you would only need to change in/out address. Thanks for your kind words. I am proud of how it turned out and I too looked long and hard before building this set up. It's always a work in progress and finally at a point that only little mods are made.

thanks and I will take you up on your offer.. Anything you have related to your BCS config will greatly reduce my install time... Also, your gas valves are Honeywell if I remember and they are the type with the HSI igniters? I think the igniters plug right into valve? Expensive Im sure but so worth it.. Part numbers perhaps? Also on your control panel if you have anything written up.. If not I am working with ebrewsupply and I'm sure they can lead me to the correct parts and wiring diagrams.... Thanks again!!!

Good use of kitchen auction stuff! I worked in a kitchen for 5 years and I'm not surprised the fridge in the table was dead, but that's a sweet looking setup.

thanks and I will take you up on your offer.. Anything you have related to your BCS config will greatly reduce my install time... Also, your gas valves are Honeywell if I remember and they are the type with the HSI igniters? I think the igniters plug right into valve? Expensive Im sure but so worth it.. Part numbers perhaps? Also on your control panel if you have anything written up.. If not I am working with ebrewsupply and I'm sure they can lead me to the correct parts and wiring diagrams.... Thanks again!!!

Message me your email and I'll send you some recent config files with the three keg set up. The Honeywell valves I used were the SmartValves and someone had or has a few for sale in the classifieds HBT classifieds recently you may want to check. I have the HSI with pilot. I didn't trust the HSI alone on such large burners so the HSI lights the pilot then the burner. It delays the cycle time but not an issue at all because you really don't want to short cycle the valve anyway. I really don't have any panel wiring diagrams but could answer any question you may have. Most diagrams posted on HBT should be good if tried and true. I will suggest you use SSR' and leave plenty of room in your panel expansion. I also have three way switches on burners, pumps and a punch button I use to pause or skip a process depending on the state. These switches allow me to go from off /on/auto manually. For example if you want to use your burners or pumps you can without the BCS or you can go to on/off during a process as needed.

Good use of kitchen auction stuff! I worked in a kitchen for 5 years and I'm not surprised the fridge in the table was dead, but that's a sweet looking setup.

Thanks, It was a bummer but Since I replaced the compressor it has worked flawless since. I mainly use it for small batch variations and yeast starters ow that I have the larger conicals. Fits into my brewery nicely. I still like the "all in one" BrewStation from grain to keg and even glass if I wanted to serve from the fermenter. :)

Been a busy summer and took a break from brewing and depleted my pipeline. Ready to get at it and brew up my 2015 Spring/Summer beers. My Native American friend has been guarding the brewery waiting for me to return from my summer hiatus. Time to get my brew on!!!! ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412864385.365869.jpg

Sent from the MaxOut Brewstation

Thank You. I have a few thinks I plan on sharing once I'm up and running full steam. Cheers!

MaxOut Brewstat

I just joined HBT just so I can comment on your setup / thread. I went through the thread this morning in it's entirety and am blown away! Nice work on your ingenuity and dedication. Along with befriended an HVAC guy I think I also learned from your post that I need to learn how to weld! I can't wait to see what you do next!! Thank you so much for posting your process from start until present day. :mug:

I just joined HBT just so I can comment on your setup / thread. I went through the thread this morning in it's entirety and am blown away! Nice work on your ingenuity and dedication. Along with befriended an HVAC guy I think I also learned from your post that I need to learn how to weld! I can't wait to see what you do next!! Thank you so much for posting your process from start until present day. :mug:

Thank you, and you are quite welcome. I hope you find some of my ideas useful. I have some improvements I will share soon as well as some brewing videos. I brewed a BBL in late December and it is carbing now. I'm brewing again this week to fill the pipeline.

Very impressive. I would like to do something like that but would need to get divorced first or if I started doing it, would surely get divorced halfway through. At least I could use her parking space in the garage for the brewery.....Scratch that- since she would get the house, I don't know where I would put it.

Very impressive. I would like to do something like that but would need to get divorced first or if I started doing it, would surely get divorced halfway through. At least I could use her parking space in the garage for the brewery.....Scratch that- since she would get the house, I don't know where I would put it.

Thank you, maybe you could get your wife to start brewing with you. My wife likes my beer so we have an agreement. I brew it and she helps drink it. I've always had hobbies that take me away so she is glad I picked one that keeps me close😀

Thank you, maybe you could get your wife to start brewing with you. My wife likes my beer so we have an agreement. I brew it and she helps drink it. I've always had hobbies that take me away so she is glad I picked one that keeps me close😀

How about an update, Max? Cheers!

How about an update, Max? Cheers!

Hello, thanks for checking in, I've been on a hiatus from brewing for a bit. I mostly brew through the winter months due to my busy summer schedule. Not much new at the brewery other then some small changes in my processes. This past January I lost a good friend unexpectedly and he was my brewing partner so it been a little hard to get back to brewing without him. I have however just finished my tribute Moosehead Christmas tree - close to 1000 sealed bottles and almost 15' tall.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1448275603.967024.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1448275618.783806.jpg

That is F'n amazing! any pictures of the build!

So sorry about the loss of your friend, a true reminder that life can be short, enjoy it while you can.

I started another thread to share the tree and it has build pictures. Thanks for the kind words. I've always lived every day to the fullest and so did my friend. He had more good times in his short life then most would have in many lives. He is definitely missed and left a hole in my life but I will continue to brew in memory of him. Cheers!

Link to thread-

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=557566

I saw your post on the build of this tree and commented there as well. Great job! I am also very sorry for the loss of your friend and brewing partner....

John

I saw your post on the build of this tree and commented there as well. Great job! I am also very sorry for the loss of your friend and brewing partner....

John

Thank you for your condolences, good friends are hard to come by and even harder to finds ones that share the same passion for brewing, he will be missed. Cheers[emoji482]

Hey MaxOut I am in the process of shopping for a conical and cooler. I really like the looks of the Brewers Hardware 30 gallon setup. It measures 19.5" wide and 50" tall to the blowoff. I would love to have it in the glass door True 26 like yours if it will fit. Like you said in a previous post, the 30 gallon is only a few $$ more than the smaller ones.

The doorway is 52 inches high by 26 inches wide. The total height once you get through the doorway is 57 inches, the depth is 24 inches. Looks like it should fit no problem. My conical is actually taller then the door opening but I just go in and up. I have about an inch or two to spare but it fits :) make sure you consider things like your dump valve on the front and temperature probes or anything else that sticks off the sides or front of the conical. My valves barely clear when the door is shut.

Latest posts

Back