S-23 Lager Yeasty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam78K

Reaction score
I know there are numerous post regarding this yeast but I have heard a lot of negative feedback on the yeast and it's fruity tones. I just wanted to reiterate that this yeast worked for me fine using these method's. *note, results can vary from homebrewer to homebrewer. I started out re hydrating the yeast in 85 F water for 30 mins with a pinch of corn sugar to proof it. After there was visible activity and my wort was off of the burner and cooled to 60 F. I cooled the yeast slurry and wort to the same pitching temperature at 50 F and when it finally reached that in 2 hours I pitched the yeast. Fermented at 50-52 F for 7 days till the primary fermentation was 2/3 done. For 2 days I raised the temperature slowly from 50 F to 60 F for the diacetyl rest.

The recipe was JZ's Munich Helles and from my palate I tasted no sign of fruitiness or diacetyl. Hope this helps some people out with the S-23 issue.

any other experiences with s-23 yeast for anyone else to help other fellow home-brewers on the board?

Back