Can you Brew It recipe for Black Sheep Riggwelter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricCSU

Reaction score
All recipes are (unless otherwise specified): 6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 7.27 gallons preboil, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only (no secondary).

If you brew this, please reply with your results for discussion.

OG 1056
FG 1014
ABV 5.9%
19.5 SRM
36.9 IBU

4660g Marris Otter (80%)
350g Crystal 80 (6%)
290g Pale Chocolate Malt 200lov.(5%)
520g Torrified wheat (9%)
1g Roasted Barley

Mash at 151F for 60m
Mash out at 168F
3g gypsum to mash
3ml lactic acid to mash

Boil time 90 minutes

Wyeast 1469 (seasonal)

Ferment at 66F, ramp up to 69F over 72hrs

49g East Kent Goldings 5.4%AA at 60m
24.5g East Kent Goldings at flame out

Discussion notes:
This yeast is very powerful. Use a blowoff tube. According to Jamil, the specific yeast is critical.

Did you brew this? How did it turn out? With the 1469 yeast about to be offered again, I'm curious how close this is.

Now that I have the yeast, this beer is on the agenda. Anyone tried this recipe yet? Jamil seemed to have thought it was very close to the real thing. Speaking of the real thing, I can't seem to find it anywhere around here anymore. Has anyone in the Triangle seen this stuff anywhere lately? Definitely one of my favorite beers.

I'm brewing this recipe (sort of) this weekend. My LHBS had chocolate 350L and I had to sub flaked wheat since they no longer carry torrified wheat. I'm sure it'll turn out great though. I'll be sure to post back the results.

I'm brewing this recipe (sort of) this weekend. My LHBS had chocolate 350L and I had to sub flaked wheat since they no longer carry torrified wheat. I'm sure it'll turn out great though. I'll be sure to post back the results.

Awesome. Definitely report back. I'll be putting this one in the fermenter in the next couple of weeks too.

I plan on brewing this one in a few days, though for "research" purposes I went out and got a few bottles of the real stuff. Very tasty, though a little more tame than I had hoped. I wonder if they ferment cool, because you really don't get all those complex esters and english flavors that I know this yeast is capable of. I'll probably drop the wheat in favor of more dark crystal and pale chocolate, and ferment around 68-70F.

The active fermentation is over for mine. It's been 4 days at 66F and I've ramped it up to 70F after 72 hours. The yeast was a great fermenter but never went crazy or anything. I got about an 1.5'' of krausen and used a 1L starter. I'll let you all know how it went when I keg this in 2 weeks.

Oh man is this good. The fermentation really reminded me of WLP037 in that the krausen was thick and cheesy and it never fully dropped. The flavor is iconically English. The yeast produced everything I love about English ales. It is fruity, creamy, a hint of diacetyl that I love, and it gets better and more complex as it warms. I really dig what this yeast does, it is a great English strain.

I've pulled a few pints so far and it is very cloudy though. I forgot to add Irish moss and the recipe I used had over a pound of flaked wheat, so I am not sure how flocculant the strain is because of the beer.

I'll definitely be using this again for a series of English ales.

Going to brew this beer tomorrow, though with a couple of changes. Malted oats in lieu of wheat (great nuttiness) and some extra dark crystal for a little more complexity. I absolutely LOVE wy1469... this should be good!

77% Pale, MO
9% Malted Oats
6% Crystal 80L
5% Pale Chocolate
3% Crystal 150L

Got this in my brew kettle right now. I subbed fuggles in because thats what Ive got. I also had to use the white labs yorkshire ale yeast since I could not get the wyeast.
Now the waiting...

Made this up last night. COuldnt get the torrified wheat so I was at the store and saw some puffed whole wheat creal and got that. It's said it was only toasted puffed wheat so should be ok. Although I wasnt sure if I was supposed to crush it or not. Crushed 1 6 oz bag and the others wouldnt crush. Nothing for the rollers to really grab hold of and spin.
Made a nice starter of 1469 built up from a slant and it was bubbling away merrily this morning. My basement is pretty cold so I slapped my brewbelt on it and plugged that into my ranco. The stick on temp read like 79!! this morning, but the probe duct taped on underneath a layer of bubble wrap was reading 65. The probe was at the bottom of the carboy and the brewbelt and stick on thermo were near the top. Hopefully it's ok. Took off the belt when I saw the temps. We'll see.

Tried the beer for the first time the day before and it convinced me to brew this one up.
Only sub was target for bittering since it was in my fridge

I brewed this 4 weeks ago with a nice starter of reclaimed West Yorkshire yeast, using Optic malt and Willamette as substitutes. 2 weeks in primary, krausen hung around like peanut butter but beer was brilliantly clear upon bottling. Very pleasant fermentation aromas using an "open" fermenter.

First impression of light roasted coffee aroma, the pale chocolate, followed by what I think is the Optic malt supported by earthiness from the Willamettes. This is just the aroma I've been searching for in my English ales. Smooth and creamy (wheat) ends up in a dry finish (yeast). At nearly 6% ABV, at 4 weeks I'm shocked to find out this goes down like a 4%er. Keep carbonation low and serve cool (not cold) to allow yourself to sort out all the complexities.

I brewed this in companion with a Graham Wheeler recipe for Theakston's Old Peculier just to make it easier to pick out subtle differences and have an idea what caused them. Excellent, highly recommended!

I brewed this a couple of months ago and this is a very nice beer. Can't remember compared to the original. But entered this in the national competition here in NZ. And scored a Bronze with 33/50. If your on the fence brew it up, it's great but make sure you use the WY1469. It is the most important part of the recipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back