Time to brew some big beer! (I)IIPA, feedback/suggestions welcome

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidSteel

Reaction score
This is a recipe I put together for my first high gravity beer:
zojfj6.jpg

Just got done hand-milling it; made a huge starter for it. Any suggestions to a n00b high gravity brewer? I only have a 10 gallon mash tun, and I think It'll be completely filled. I think I'm going to do a 90 minute boil and follow this mash schedule:
Strike Water Volume : 6.09 gallons
Strike Water Temperature : 166.7
First Running Volume : 3.75

Sparge Water Volume : 3.05 gallons
Sparge Water Temperature : 201.8

Collect: 6.8 gallons (I'm pretty sure I got .8 gallons of boil-off per hour).

Any tips? Comments on the hop schedule? This is semi-inspired from Pliny (mostly just the amount of FWH/Mash hops).

I'd like to note that I'm using those particular FWH's because I dry hopped with them for only 4 days and decided to put them in a baggy and save them. I feel they may still add the bitterness to the beer, so I figured I'd experiment with that in this brew.

Also, I'm going to be adding 1lb of honey at flameout. I have clover honey and 100% pure honey, which one should I use?

Wow dude that is pretty imperial with just under 13oz of hops! I can't wait to hear how it turns out. But I definitely think it will be something you can drink to get rid of any other taste you have in your mouth. Talk about a pallet cleanser.

Oh man, I forgot to add that there is suppose to be another .5oz Willamette @ 10 minutes.

Oh man, I forgot to add that there is suppose to be another .5oz Willamette @ 10 minutes.
Good idea - I thought it looked a little light on the hops. ;)

I wonder if it'd be worth adding a small amount of sugar to dry it out a little? I just made Dude's Pliny clone which is a slightly smaller beer, and that had some sugar in. Either way, I bet it'll be a hell of a good beer. :mug:

i made a iipa recently .added 1 pound of sugar,and dry hopped twice.after a week in the secondary,i roused the hops,the added another ounce of hops(.25 oz of 4 different hops)for 7 more days

Good idea - I thought it looked a little light on the hops. ;)

I wonder if it'd be worth adding a small amount of sugar to dry it out a little? I just made Dude's Pliny clone which is a slightly smaller beer, and that had some sugar in. Either way, I bet it'll be a hell of a good beer. :mug:
Yeah, That's why I'm adding a pound of honey. Think along the lines of Bells Hopslam.

i made a iipa recently .added 1 pound of sugar,and dry hopped twice.after a week in the secondary,i roused the hops,the added another ounce of hops(.25 oz of 4 different hops)for 7 more days
Yeah, I've seen pliny clone/recipes that called for that. I've considered it, and I may follow through with it- we'll see. Something like: use what I have listed for 14 days and then add .25oz for 7 days of each.

the aroma from dry hoping twice was incredible

I'll definitely do it then. Add:
.25oz Cascade dryhop
.25oz Centennial dryhop
.25oz Willamette dryhop
for 7 days, after the first 14-day dryhop.

Looks like the total hops comes out to be: 14oz.

sounds good,youll be happy with the results.i think i had a total of about 26 oz in my pliney clone

sounds good,youll be happy with the results.i think i had a total of about 26 oz in my pliney clone

Haha, nice. I'm actually brewing at as we speak. Waiting another 20 minutes and then going to start the sparge.

Ended up doing a ~1 gallon willamette APA/english PA parti-gyle with the second sparge. The beer looks amazing, the color blows me away; it is the redest of reds. It doesn't looks like an amber, it looks like hell. Perfect for this beer (It's called Nyarlathotep 999 IIPA) due to the SRM, IBU, and ABV being about 9.99, 9.99, 99.9. I'll post pics on Sunday, when I get back to my dorm. It's evil as hell.

Just popping in to say that I got 76% efficiency (including the honey, so realistically- probably around 70%), so I'm going to try and add a little corn sugar to bump it up to 9.99% if the FG isn't where I want it at. Pictures coming up in a couple hours. The krausen looks awesome.

Everything I brewed this weekend; Haus Pale Ale, Cthulhu Dementia Robust Porter, Nyarlathotep 999 (I)IIPA:
18157_290843092676_517337676_3565624_7348505_n.jpg

18157_290843127676_517337676_3565627_8111083_n.jpg

18157_290843132676_517337676_3565628_4376396_n.jpg

18157_290843137676_517337676_3565629_5273100_n.jpg

Should I let the first dry-hopping sit for 14 days and then add the second round afterward for another 5 days? I ask because then the first DH's would sit for 19 days total and that may lead to grassy flavors.. Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back