I want to FWH my DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukebrewer

Brew the brew!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am brewing a DIPA today and I want to FWH it. This would be my first try at FWH, so I want to make sure I do it right. I've read that using high AA hops for the FWH addition is bad juju, but is 8% too high?

I've also read that you should move your late additions to the FWH addition, but that other authors say not to change your hop schedule when FWH. Which one is right?

Here is the current draft of my recipe. I would appreciate feedback on my hop schedule.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Soul Crusher Double IPA
Brewer: Aaron Lott
Asst Brewer: Kate Lott
Style: Imperial IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.41 gal
Estimated OG: 1.078 SG
Estimated Color: 9.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 108.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
12 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 85.71 %
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 7.14 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 7.14 %
2.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.00 %] (90 min) (First Wort) Hops 71.3 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.00 %] (60 min) Hops 24.2 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.60 %] (20 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.60 %] (15 min) Hops 4.2 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.60 %] (10 min) Hops 3.1 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.60 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [1.25 L Starter]

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 14.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Mash In Add 4.62 gal of water at 163.2 F 150.0 F

Do I need to remove the late hops or are they good where they are? Based on what I have read of FWH and the fact that this is DIPA, it looks like a decent hop schedule, but the differing opinions on keeping the late hops or not has me worried. Thanks.

-AJ

My best experiment with FWHin so far has been blacklab's orange cascade pale....it's pure cascade and there is only FWH and no 60 min addition, while all the late additions are kept in place (1oz each at 10, 5, 0 min)...the beer is phenomenal. The bitterness is definitely present, but it's much more smooth and ingrained in the overall flavor, rather than riding over the top as hop bittering can often do.....just my 2 cents, though, I'm not an expert of FWH yet.

Thanks for the tips. I am going to keep it as is and see what happens. I am mashing as we speak, so it's almost too late if anyone has any advice to the contrary. We'll see how it goes.

-AJ

They say not to use high AA hops in a FWH because you'll get more utilization out of them (like boiling for 90 minutes). So, you'll end up with more bitterness. Nothing really that bad about it besides that. I FWH'd with an oz of chinook @ 13%AA and an oz 60 minute addition. It turned out delicious.

I wouldn't use 2.5oz though :|. Probably way too much. I'd go with 1.5 maximum, unless you're going for uber bitter. If that's the case (or you've already thrown in the 2.5oz), I'd plan on dry hopping with a good 2oz..

Yeah, at time of reading I am done with the brew. I was contemplating dry hopping with an extra ounce of cascade I have. But I also have almost two ounces of amarillo tht I didn't use during this brew so maybe I will dry hop with that. An ounce of each sounds amazing. Anyway, thanks for the tips and info. Cheers :mug:

Back