How many brewers on HBT are female?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your gender?

• Dude

• Chick

Results are only viewable after voting.

aeonderdonk

Reaction score
I saw the engineer thread and was curious what % of brewers are females? I know of a few on here but it seems like it's 99% guys (which since it's beer makes sense to me).

besides Yooper (who I'm sure will chime in shortly) I have seen at least 3 others on here. I'm sure there are plenty more.

I dunno man, some of us guys fantasize about having this perfect woman who likes to do all the stuff we like to do. The truth is though, when you find that woman, all that stuff you enjoy now..... she'll always be right there with you! Think on that for a moment.... or 10. :eek:

My girl split 6 beers with me last night while asking me lots of questions about mead making. She recently tried mead, and is eager
for a steady supply.

The beers btw were Victory Horizontal Barleywine, Sam Adams Cream Stout, Founders Breakfast Stout, and DFH 60, 90, and 120 minute IPAs. Twas a good time.

I have a feeling she'll be procrastinating on this board during work hours fairly soon.

My girl split 6 beers with me last night while asking me lots of questions about mead making. She recently tried mead, and is eager
for a steady supply.

The beers btw were Victory Horizontal Barleywine, Sam Adams Cream Stout, Founders Breakfast Stout, and DFH 60, 90, and 120 minute IPAs. Twas a good time.

I have a feeling she'll be procrastinating on this board during work hours fairly soon.

And pretty soon she'll be wanting her own chair in the "man cave". See what I mean! You have to be careful or you will lose all lone wolf activities. Soon all you'll have left is mowing the lawn and taking out the garbage for "me time". :p ;)

Let's not get hasty. She lives in an apartment with no lawn, and my man cave is safe in a different state :)

I'm a female brewer. My husband doesn't brew at all -- zero involvement except carrying 50# grain bags into the house for me. He is, however, a very good beer drinker!

My "woman cave" is called my kitchen and attached deck. It's not really a cave, it's actually bright and cheery, with plants and flowers and stuff.

We are a rare breed I suppose.

I think there aren't enough voting choices. What about female brewers who would appear to have female physical charateristics, but who internally are actually male? One would have to ask, "Would this give them some kind of unfair brewing advantage?"

From Viking Answer Lady:
Viking Answer Lady Webpage - Alcoholic Beverages and Drinking Customs of the Viking Age

Brewing was usually the work of women in medieval Iceland, and probably in the Viking Age throughout Scandinavia as well.

It wasn't always rare to find women brewers.

:off: I have also read that each Viking family had a special brewing stick that they stirred the cooled wort with. That stick contained yeast cultures that would start the brewing process, although the Vikings chalked it up to the gods lending their touch.

I found out that there is a female coworker that brews with her husband ;) They are a total newbs and I emailed her a lot of good info, including this forum.

I saw the engineer thread and was curious what % of brewers are females? I know of a few on here but it seems like it's 99% guys (which since it's beer makes sense to me).

Don't really understand the final parenthetical statement. Of the females in our immediate family, I have a daughter in law who doesn't drink beer (but, then, she and my son are both teetotalers). Otherwise, I have a wife, a 90 year old mother, a daughter, & another daughter-in-law who all LOVE beer. That's a pretty high percentage.

.....as far as the original question, no, I know no female brewers.

Don't really understand the final parenthetical statement. Of the females in our immediate family, I have a daughter in law who doesn't drink beer (but, then, she and my son are both teetotalers). Otherwise, I have a wife, a 90 year old mother, a daughter, & another daughter-in-law who all LOVE beer. That's a pretty high percentage.

.....as far as the original question, no, I know no female brewers.
It's not that women don't like beer, it's that women are allergic to the internet. It's a well documented fact that only 1% of the people on internet forums are women, that is why having a vagina makes you an automatic forum celebrity. Even if men in the real world think your a hideous buttertroll and avoid contact with you at all costs, once men on the internet find out you're a female they will be drooling over your every post.

It's not that women don't like beer, it's that women are allergic to the internet. It's a well documented fact that only 1% of the people on internet forums are women, that is why having a vagina makes you an automatic forum celebrity. Even if men in the real world think your a hideous buttertroll and avoid contact with you at all costs, once men on the internet find out you're a female they will be drooling over your every post.

You raked someone over the coals about making sweeping statements in a thread above yet go on to make a extremely offensive sweeping statement about women. Hey pot, the kettle is calling you!

You raked someone over the coals about making sweeping statements in a thread above yet go on to make a extremely offensive sweeping statement about women. Hey pot, the kettle is calling you!
It's a well documented fact that only 1% of the people on internet forums are women.
I thought that made it pretty obvious that I was joking...but I guess I will have to increase my smiley uses round these parts.

I thought that made it pretty obvious that I was joking...but I guess I will have to increase my smiley uses round these parts.

What? You were joking!?!? Man, I've been quoting your supposed "facts" to others all day and now I find out you were JOKING!!! I mean, I found them on the internet, so I figured they must have been true. Man, do I have some apologizing to do now, thanks a lot! ;)

Meet a new homebrewer at the Septembeerfest, female, early twenties, really nice. Let her know she would be welcome here.

There are a lot of female brewers out there. But, I have found that the only way to get help without being made fun of in my local brewing supply store is to tell them that I am shopping for my Dad. There may be a correlation there between the ratio of female brewers to the ones who will admit to being such.:)

There are a lot of female brewers out there. But, I have found that the only way to get help without being made fun of in my local brewing supply store is to tell them that I am shopping for my Dad. There may be a correlation there between the ratio of female brewers to the ones who will admit to being such.:)
I think you may have a point there, anyway, since this is your first post, let me say welcome to HBT, and have fun.:mug:

Hi Tipsy, welcome to HBT! I was worried about going to the local homebrew store at first, especially starting out all grain. This was when I lived in Nashville but they were very nice (at All Seasons Nashville).

If they're being a$$holes and you don't feel like giving them your money you can always go through Home wine making supply and home brew supply available on-line at Midwest Homebrewing Supplies. Search for wine recipes and beer recipes, their prices are good, or other very good places online.

I can't believe they make fun of you. If you have to go there, you can always study up here and know way more than them and make sure to rub it in ("gosh, I though every homebrewer knew that", etc) and severely damage their fragile overblown egos.

Most homebrew guys are super nice and cool, but every now and then you get some that think they're hot $hit. I'll bet their beer tastes like a$$!!

Wow, it takes a lot for me to curse in public but this did it!

Sweet, Lady #10 (...ooooo, need to make a beer with that name)

I guess you could consider SWMBO #11 ^_^

Latest posts

Back