Anone know Jack about Nova Scotia?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumbaa

I prefer 23383
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Thinking of vactioning there next year and I dont know jack about the place really. I'm thinking of driving all the way from Milwaukee and taking the cat from Bar Harbor over to Nova Scotia and then I'm pretty lost.

1. Should I do the drive and take the Cat? Is it worth it? or would I be better off just trying to fly into Halifax and renting a car?

2. What should I do once I get myself and the family there? So far all I can really think of is some whale watching and checking out the tides in the Bay of Fundy so I am open to just about any suggestion, keep in mind I'll be dragging the wife, a 15 y/o and 5 y/o boy with me (and yes the Distillary I heard about is DEFINETLY on the schedual)

I seem to remember St. John being fun (I did a cruise with my parents there when I was 18-ish), kind of a nifty little town.

Don't know if you're into this sort of thing. In Lunenburg, there's the Lunenburg Foundry. They make the Atlantic marine engine. It's a single cylinder, water cooled marine engine just like Grandpappy had in his skiff. To my knowledge, they are the only manufacturer of the old one-lung gas engine on this planet anymore. Also a whole load of wooden boatbuilding in that part of the world. God! Could it get any better?

sudsmonkey said:
Don't know if you're into this sort of thing. In Lunenburg, there's the Lunenburg Foundry. They make the Atlantic marine engine. It's a single cylinder, water cooled marine engine just like Grandpappy had in his skiff. To my knowledge, they are the only manufacturer of the old one-lung gas engine on this planet anymore. Also a whole load of wooden boatbuilding in that part of the world. God! Could it get any better?

Never heard of the Lunenburg, but that sounds very cool. :rockin: I'm a HUGE fan of old wood boats, but in no way an authority. I just love the look. (I'm always looking at CC's, Hacker-Crafts, Garwoods and Century's for Sale online... Not that I can afford one at this point... ) :off:

Sorry for the thread-jack, now back to the regularly scheduled discussion... :eek:

Ize

Ize said:
Never heard of the Lunenburg, but that sounds very cool. :rockin: I'm a HUGE fan of old wood boats, but in no way an authority. I just love the look. (I'm always looking at CC's, Hacker-Crafts, Garwoods and Century's for Sale online... Not that I can afford one at this point... ) :off:

Sorry for the thread-jack, now back to the regularly scheduled discussion... :eek:

Ize

Still:off: , my apolgies.

I feel you on the wooden boats ! I know that doesn't sound right, but you get the point. I'm a fan of the wooden schooner. Grew up here in NC with stories of Blackbeard and whatnot. Plan on pirating one day when I grow up. My kids think I'm crazy, but they humor me. You should see the eyepatch they got me last X-mas ! I agree with you on the old Chris Crafts, Elcos, Hacker-Craft, etc. They're beautiful but so expensive. Guy near me has a 16' Chris Craft runabout for sale for something like 20 thousand. Not that I could afford it or anything. Just imagine what a pain it would be to keep it varnished !

Back