16 QT Pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anlgp

Reaction score
It's stainless steel, but is it enough? I know generally batches are done 5 gals but is 4 acceptable? Thanks!

I asume you are using extract, if that is the case you won't be boiling the full 5 gallon anyway. The only real issue with a 16QT pot is that you don't have as much space to contain potential boil-overs so you will need to monitor it more closely. Other than that you should be fine.

If you were planning on going AG you'd need a much bigger pot anyway (like 7.5 gallons).

TheJadedDog said:
If you were planning on going AG you'd need a much bigger pot anyway (like 7.5 gallons).

Yes, but even if you were going AG, you still need a smaller pot for heating up the mash or sparge water so it'll still work in the future for you!

anlgp said:
It's stainless steel, but is it enough? I know generally batches are done 5 gals but is 4 acceptable? Thanks!
Do you own this pot already, or is it a purchase you are considering?

If the latter, I wouldn't bother buying something this small. Before long you WILL want something bigger, and meanwhile a small one will just frustrate you. Even with extract, I'd suggest the biggest boil volume your stove and pot is capable of. Furthermore, a larger pot provides much needed insurance against boil-overs...believe me, just one will really ruin your day!

Consider aluminum pots, for the same money you can probably get a much larger volume.

Thanks all. I recieved the pot as a gift and it's currently sitting on the other side of the living room. If being monitored more is all that is necessary then I have no problem watching until I can find another pot.

I may consider getting an aluminum one. I've always heard stainless steel is better - not to spark the debate.

well...I have a 21 Qt pot and it frustrates the hell out of me so I can't imagine a 16 Qt however it would be alright for a prehopped kit.

I used a 16 qt pot for extract and PM beers for about a year and half. It can be done, but 20qt would be much better. If you step up to AG in the furture, having 5 gallons of hot water on the side vs 4 gallons is a huge benefit.

I used my retired 16 gt sauce pot on my stove for my first batch. Upgrade to a to a turkey fryer with a 30 qt pot for batch number 2 for about $30. Well worth the investment. Although I do see using the old pot for heating sparge water in the near future.

How about us that are only doing 2.5 gallons (Small batches) extract/BIAB would 16 quart be ok then? Living alone now and old and to heavy to lug my 8 gallon pot around and I don't drink as much beer now either. I'm considering one at walmart for $49.97 with a glass lid 18/10

I started with a 5 gallon BK with my beginner kit then used my 7 gallon turkey fryer then to a Concord ss 15 gallon. Now I have two small pot for heating strike water. Did my first 10 gallon batch today.

Back