Spa panel question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnp

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm still in the research stage of an ebrew setup and I don't have any electrical knowledge.

Ive searched but I couldn't find the answer to this: If I went with a 60 amp spa panel, can I just hook that up to the 220 line that I have running from a 30 amp breaker in my house's main panel? Is it that easy? Are there any instructions on how to do this floating around?

Thank you!

Yes you can do that. However I'd like to ask why a 60A Spa Panel? You could save a little money and get a 50A Spa Panel. After all you will be feeding power to it from a 30A breaker anyway. What outlet will you be using for your brewery - a 3 prong or a 4 prong outlet?

Tell me more...

P-J

P-J said:
Yes you can do that. However I'd like to ask why a 60A Spa Panel? You could save a little money and get a 50A Spa Panel. After all you will be feeding power to it from a 30A breaker anyway. What outlet will you be using for your brewery - a 3 prong or a 4 prong outlet?

Tell me more...

P-J

I'm sorry, I misspoke, it's a 20 amp breaker in my main panel.

I mentioned 60 amp spa panel because I don't know what I'm doing, lol. 50 amp it is. I'm planning on 4 prong because I thought it was safer?

Edit: heres some more info: my naivety is the reason I'm planning on buying the ebcII from high gravity instead of building a control panel myself. So hopefully I can at least manage to wire up the spa panel and that'll be all i'll have to avoid screwing up.

I'm planning on a 2 vessel herms system where the hlt will double as the bk. So just one element and one pump.

I'm sorry, I misspoke, it's a 20 amp breaker in my main panel.

I mentioned 60 amp spa panel because I don't know what I'm doing, lol. 50 amp it is. I'm planning on 4 prong because I thought it was safer?

Edit: heres some more info: my naivety is the reason I'm planning on buying the ebcII from high gravity instead of building a control panel myself. So hopefully I can at least manage to wire up the spa panel and that'll be all i'll have to avoid screwing up.

I'm planning on a 2 vessel herms system where the hlt will double as the bk. So just one element and one pump.

Sorry. I'm not familiar in any way with the ebcII. Wish I could help. (But not with that. No dissing on it. I just know nothing about it.)

P-J

I don't need help with the ebcII, it just plugs in and needs 220v and 30 amps. I was just looking for help wiring up a spa panel that can accept a 4 prong plug since my main breaker is only 20 amps.

Sorry:

Forgot to mention the wiring for the 50A Spa Panel:

power-panel-5b.jpg

This provides to 30A protection from the mains breaker and the GFCI protection using the Spa Panel.

P-J

Thank you p-j! So do I just need to replace my 20 amp breaker with a 30 amp (non-gfci) breaker then?

I just have to ask this and sorry if it has been covered to death before.....

Why only a 30 amp breaker in the main if the SPA is 50 amp? Isnt that a mis-match?

I don't need help with the ebcII, it just plugs in and needs 220v and 30 amps. I was just looking for help wiring up a spa panel that can accept a 4 prong plug since my 220 breaker is only 20 amps.
20A??? Wow, you are severely limited. I was thinking you had at least a 30A - 240V feed...

Back