New Brewery Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabeb25

HE of who can not be spoken of.
Reaction score
Over this summer, I will building a new brewery. It will basically be new from the ground up, including finishing the room I brew in. I am going to be building a Brutus 20 style system all electric, based off the boilermaker 20 gallon pots. It will feature a HERMS coil, be 100% SS, and hard plumbed. It will also be using little giant pumps, pressure sensors, electric ball valves and the brewtroller. My goal was to be able to brew 5-20 gallon batches (with the bulk of them being 10g) at as close to 100% automated as possible. I really want this setup to last me a few years, and am really pulling out all stops. Wish me luck..its going to be a long hard battle!

Here is what I started with (but just sold):
brewery4.22.10.JPG

Parts are slowly showing up.

Range hood, purchased for $3.54 at an auction. Ebayed $200 worth in parts, now I have a 1200cfm 10" ducted real rood. I have not seen this hood cheaper than $1500 online. Dimensions are 36"Hx24"Hx19H.
hood.jpg

Also got a 23x16x8 stainless steel cabinet For $50. Its weather proof, and should make a great control panel, it just needs a little clean up.
controlpanelfront.jpg

controlpanelopen.jpg

SS and parts showing up, still waiting on more...
ssparts.jpg

Well thats about it for this week!
Bryan

Pump Showed up..Little giant 3-Md-HC
pump1.jpg

@jfkriege and mmurray..Got the valves from a group buy..I *may* have some extras if you are interested...Here are the specs

@Maltose I am using a 40 plate duda diesel plate chiller.

Made some progress this weekend on the brew room. Got the old system out, re-routed a BUNCH of duct work, plumbing lines, electrical, and my air exchanger. I am now left with a wide open 7'x12' space. I will be putting all the mechanical behind bi-fold doors, and finishing the room off to be a real room..it still has a LONG way to go!
brewroomceiling2.JPG

@jfkriege and mmurray..Got the valves from a group buy..I *may* have some extras if you are interested...Here are the specs

Them's some nice valves :) Mind if I ask what they $ran$ you in the group buy price?

Liking the looks of things, good call with the hood- thats nice and shiny and you got a KILLER deal on it! Can't wait to see the progress!

Looking good, what did you decide to finnish the walls with , frb, tile?

I think I am going with tile with greenboard. Since the brewery will now be hard plumbed I don't see the need to make it water proof.

I feel so,, so, inadequate, looking great compared to my ghetto setup.
Thanks for sharing, and please keep the pictures coming.

Well Another week has passed with not much to really talk about. What I did this week...

Started framing the front wall. The kettles and hood will be recessed and come out flush to the wall in front.

brewerywall.jpg

I started framing on my mini walk in, I will keep the ac unit on top and duct it down into the ceiling of the cooler. It will have a few shelves in it and should hold about 18 cornies if full.
miniwalkin.jpg

Other than that just put some cans up and wired for the in ceiling speakers.
cans.jpg

Hopefully next weekend you will see some major headway, now that I have all the supplies for finishing the room, and 95% of the brew system.

Bryan

I have to say I'm really looking forward to seeing this progress. Looks like a great space for everything and well thought out. Good luck and keep the pics coming:D.

Well, I had some time today. I got 99% of the framing done(just have some sheet rock backers to put in). I worked on the cooler and got the "manifold" worked out, got it insulated, and got the temp controller hooked up.

Franken window ac:
walkinsheetmetal.jpg

Ac manifold, and ducting:
walkinmanifold.jpg

Insulation:
walkininsulate.jpg

At the end of the day..I did a test fit :)
testfit.jpg

Bryan

I could use some valves. Any available?

Sorry my pm box was full..I don't know yet. I have not received my kettles yet (been 4 weeks) so I have not been able to do the setup.

Bryan

Well....we have a sad day here. I had to scrap the mini walk in project, seems my ac unit could only get down to 47f (I guess I should have tested that BEFORE I made Medusa). So now I have to tear it apart and find a chest freezer OR use my old one and run glycol from the garage.

I did get some work done today this morning got it all rocked, and did another test fit:
drywalltestfit.jpg

Then I got the floor tile down tonight:
floortilelaid.jpg

Tomorrow I plan on tiling the walls(just above the knee wall all around, and the whole inset). I plan on starting the taping and mudding on monday/tuesday. I hope to have it all painted and ready to go by next weekend. Then I can start building the actual brew system. I have everything EXCEPT my kettles.

Bryan

I like the color choice on the tile. What color are you using for the grout? Great project so far, can't wait to see it all finished up and running.

Well some more updates. Finally after 4 weeks of waiting I FINALLY received my pots. I had some spare time tonight while the final coat of mud was dryiing so I messed around with the valves and whatnot. I think I reached my final mockup.. and if I do say so myself, I think it looks down right sexy :)

Hopefully this weekend I will make a big dent in the brewery room itself. I will get the ceiling sprayed tomorrow night, then sand on Saturday. I also hope to get the walls all tiled and what not. Maybe Sunday I may be able to get the equipment in, in its final resting place.

Here are some pictures of the progress.

Room with final mud coat:
roomfinalcoat1.jpg

Furnace Area (which will be behind bi-folds):
finalcoat2.jpg

Valve Mockup:
valvemockup1.jpg

Inside of Boil Kettle, will feature a removable herms hex:
bkinside.jpg

Bryan

Wow, I can't believe I missed this all until now, but glad I did. I love tuning into an epic build like this without having to wait for finished or near finished pics. Can't wait for more progress. I can't believe how fast some of you handier type guys can work.

I forgot to add the soldering pictures. All fittings are soldered. I went with the hex nipples and they solder great.
Here is a shot of the joint before cleanup:
solder.jpg

I'm a physical therapist and the furthest thing from a plumber I could be.

What are the blue things?

Also what are the things that look like it holds antidote to cure biological warfare? the things that appear to have glass tube inside of a metal bracket?

Is there anywhere I can read in depth instructions to construct these systems?

Thanks, BTW very sexy!!!

Looks like to me the blue objects are automatic valve controllers and the glass objects are sightglasses. Beautiful setup.

Back