Keggles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony_Lopez

Reaction score
I have seen a number of keggles on Ebay ranging from 150-300 dollars depending on what is installed on them. My question is, do people actually pay that much for a keggle?

This is why I do not understand keggles. I have them, but made them before joining this forum and understanding that the deposit does not "buy" the keg. I got mine in a college town and bought them from a liquor store owner who new exactly what I was doing. Oh well :rolleyes:

If I were to do it over, knowing what I now do, I would just buy kettles. They are nicer and not much more expensive. I have decided the Blichmann's are the best for me, but the B3 kettles are also very nice if you really prefer welded connections (costs are comparable).

Most people get them purchase them illegally or at least questionably and modify them theirself, so no, most people don't pay that much for them. That's why so many people use them.

This is why I do not understand keggles. I have them, but made them before joining this forum and understanding that the deposit does not "buy" the keg. I got mine in a college town and bought them from a liquor store owner who new exactly what I was doing. Oh well :rolleyes:

Well put and I did the same

I bought mine from a Scrap Yard for $15 dollars each. That said, now that I am sick and tired of DIY builds and mods. I am more willing to spend the cash for the pre-manufactured kettle.

$300 for a keggle is a stretch for me even if it were full sanitary weld. I might consider that price if it were fit for tri-clamp.

A keg by itself does not cost much. But putting together a keggle does take some time and resources. I was eager to get a keggle of my own, I admit I was tempted to order on online, but I held out and put all the time and pieces into it. I certainly saved alot of money, but I can understand why anxious homebrewers with deep pockets would buy these at crazy prices.

I have two keggles. I put up a wanted ad on craigslist, and got several offers and bought one for $30. There were several which were "old style" golden gate kegs, the kind with a bung in them so be sure you ask what kind of keg before you drive over to pick it up. My other keg I had Jaybird from this forum cut up for me with his plasma cutter :rockin:. He did a killer job and even fashioned a lid out of the top of the keg.

I used an angle grinder with a thin cutoff wheel to cut out the top, and a bimetal hole saw to drill the hole for my weldless spigot kit. I also installed a bazooka T-screen, which works great for filtering out those hops. All together I probably spent close to $100 on all the materials and equipment for the keggle. If you have a welder friend, you might be able to have them cut out and weld a 1/2" bulkhead on there for some homebrews.

I highly recommend sourcing the kegs yourself, especially if money is an issue. While I'd like to buy 3 Blichmanns, I just am not going to drop $300 a pop on kettles, when I can brew the same quality beer by spending $100. That's just me...maybe when I have a grand to spend on brewing stuff I'll change my mind.

Here they are in action at the latest Chico group brew day:
DSCF0160.JPG

DSCF0170.JPG

DSCF0157.JPG

No offense to anyone here or anywhere.... but if you are going to post an ad like that in CL, save yourself the trouble and go to your local college liquor store. The keg you receive from a CL wanted ad is a more expensive version of the stolen keg that involved a middle man. You will never get in trouble by obtaining a keg via the deposit, it is purely a moral qualm. The number of kegs lost through frat house walls pales how many are taken by homebrewers. The big breweries don't care enough to do anything about it. That doesn't make it right, it is just the facts. If you care then do the right thing, if you don't some people on a forum you have never really met aren't going ot change your mind.

This has been beaten to death here and doesn't need to be brought up. If you really want a keg, and care that it is legal, do a search here for reputable vendors of kegs. If you are considering getting one on Ebay or CL, just go get one yourself for $10.

This is why I say that keggles no longer make sense to me. I would not knowingly steal a keg. Therefore they are not very cost effective and I would opt for a kettle.

No offense to anyone here or anywhere.... but if you are going to post an ad like that in CL, save yourself the trouble and go to your local college liquor store. The keg you receive from a CL wanted ad is a more expensive version of the stolen keg that involved a middle man. You will never get in trouble by obtaining a keg via the deposit, it is purely a moral qualm. The number of kegs lost through frat house walls pales how many are taken by homebrewers. The big breweries don't care enough to do anything about it. That doesn't make it right, it is just the facts. If you care then do the right thing, if you don't some people on a forum you have never really met aren't going ot change your mind.

This has been beaten to death here and doesn't need to be brought up. If you really want a keg, and care that it is legal, do a search here for reputable vendors of kegs. If you are considering getting one on Ebay or CL, just go get one yourself for $10.

This is why I say that keggles no longer make sense to me. I would not knowingly steal a keg. Therefore they are not very cost effective and I would opt for a kettle.

Oh, forgot to mention that these kegs were damaged...had some dents in them and had been retired. They were no longer servicable and had been retired due to their damaged state. I had to bang some dents out...:cross:

:off:

I never brought up the ethical dilemna of obtaining a keg. How about we stay on the topic at hand, which was pricing...

I never brought up the ethical dilemna of obtaining a keg. How about we stay on the topic at hand, which was pricing...

That's my point. Keggles are cheap if you get them through shady means, but do not make sense if you obtain them legally. I think the prices you listed are overpriced and not worth it. I would go Blichmann, or B3 for just a bit more.

OOOOOHhhhhhhhhhhh........ you are looking to SELL keggles. I get it now.

Sorry. Most people asking about hte price of keggles are looking to buy them, not sell them.

In that case, I would price them by totaling the parts cost, adding up the time it takes you to make the keggle, and charge for your time. Fair is fair. I would think $100 would be reasonable ish.

Ok, let me break it down by price for my setup:

Keg #1 (Boil Kettle):
keg - $60 (custom cut, with lid and 7/8" hole drilled)
1/2" weldless kit - $35.95 (MoreBeer | Weldless Spigot - Stainless)
Bazooka T-Screen - $22 (Bazooka T :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies)
Copper tubing connector - $7.50 (Bazooka T Sanke Adapter :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies)
Total for Boil Kettle: $118.45 + tax

Keg #2 (HLT):
keg - $30 (craigslist, posted a want ad)
1/2" weldless kit - $35.95 (MoreBeer | Weldless Spigot - Stainless)
Misc. copper tubing for complete draining of HLT: < $5.00
Total for HLT: $70.95

Comparable 15 gallon kettle options:
15 Gallon w/ SS ball valve and extra bulkhead: $229.95 (MoreBeer | Heavy Duty Brew Kettle - With Ball Valve (60 Quart/15 Gallon))
or Kettle only: $159.95
Blichmann Boilermaker - with 3 piece SS ball valve Brewmometer and sight glass: $368.99 (Austin Homebrew Supply) drooool :cross:

Keep in mind neither of these come with false bottoms/hop screens, so you must purchase that separately. I would LOVE to have 3 boilermakers as my brew setup, but just can't justify over a grand for my brewing setup. Maybe after I get a few more cornies and carboys, and expand my kegerator. I just think keggles are the best bang for the buck.

Two heads made my point with the numbers. However, if you do purchase a keg (blank) it will run you at least $100 for the keg alone. That's why I say it is worth going to a kettle.

I have turns kegs into keggles for my friends several times. This is what the typical setup runs.

Keg - $10 to $40 depending on condition
Stainless weldless valve - $40
Blichman Brewmometer - $40

Don't forget your fixed costs of step bits, cutting oil, cutoff blades, grinding discs, solvent for sticker removal, cleaner for final cleaning, water to test for leaks.....That's why I only do it for people I know. The "real" cost gets close to a premade pretty kettle.

I would go Blichmann, or B3 for just a bit more.

Does the fact that Blichmann does not have a tri-clad bottom deter you at all? I do think the Blichmann kettles by far look the best but I scratch my head as to why they do not incorporate a tri-clad bottom. I like B3 kettles and how they make the diverter tubes that go with the kettles also.

If I were to want to spend between $200-$300, I'd get badass pots w/ the fixings.

The reason I went keggles is for the savings. For me, each cost:

Avg of $25 per actual Keg
$15 Tools per keg
Avg of $10 sight Glass per Keg
$30 per Thermometer
$25 per Spigot
--------------------
$105 per Keggle

Does the fact that Blichmann does not have a tri-clad bottom deter you at all? I do think the Blichmann kettles by far look the best but I scratch my head as to why they do not incorporate a tri-clad bottom. I like B3 kettles and how they make the diverter tubes that go with the kettles also.

Do I need a Clad Bottom

Clad bottoms are great for cooking viscous foods like spaghetti, gravies etc, especially on an electric stove. Since these foods don't convect like thinner liquids (like beer wort) scorching is more likely. With the full rolling boil of a wort boil, and the use on a gas/propane burner, scorching is not an issue even on the lightest worts. We have thoroughly tested the BoilerMaker pots on high BTU burners with very light beers (Koelsch, Pils etc) and experienced no discoloration or scorching whatsoever. While the clad bottoms look impressive, they add cost, but no real benefit to the brewer. Since we designed these pots from a clean sheet, we added cost only where it added specific benefits to the brewer. The stepped bottom, quality level gauge, adjustable BrewMometer, and snap-in dip tube are a few examples.

taken from the horses mouth.... Fermenator FAQ Page

I have used single layer and tri-clad on electric stoves but only tri-clad on gas. I had scorching on the electric stove with a single layer kettle so I assumed that the same would arise with gas. I guess I am wrong.

To be fair, I generally forget about extract brewers.... if you are using LME and do not remove your boiling pot from the burner while stirring in your extract, some scorching could occur if solid extract is in contact with the bottom for an extended period.

Yes, I was an extract brewer when using electric indoors. Maybe that was the case then. Extract burning on the bottom...

Avg of $25 per actual Keg
$15 Tools per keg
Avg of $10 sight Glass per Keg
$30 per Thermometer
$25 per Spigot
--------------------
$105 per Keggle

I paid $30/keg
tooling was free
$6 for 2 stainless nipples per keg
$20 for drain system/keg
$20 for my thermometer/keg