Gearing up for the 14.5 Fermenator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuateBrewer

Reaction score
So I am ordering a Conical Saturday morning - couple of questions.

Price between the 7 and 14.5 makes the 14.5 a no brainer, and the triclover clamps look like what you get when you have to out do your brew buddies.

So what else do I need to gear up for this mainly with regards to transfers and cooling. I am having this sent down in a container, and hunting for stuff here is an all day affair and its not just a 2 day UPS trip away and clearly I will want to get this thing up an running the minute it gets here, so I am trying to piece all the Misc hardware together.

Putting it in a fridge is not an option for me, too much mold. So thinking a cooling loop either internal or external? Suggestions?

So as of now I have a 1/2 barb / 1/2 NPT coming from the ball valve on my boil kettle.
I will get the March Pump 809, which has 1/2 NPT male as I understand, but requires buying the couplers which would make it 1/2 NPT Female on both ends.

What are the connections on the conical, it looks like it just ships with the ball valves and female 1/2 NPT fittings right??? I do not see this spec anywhere?

This seems to be the scoop on Quick Disconnects

6739K59
Straight Through Coolant Hose Coupling Plug, 1/2" NPTF Male, 3/8" Coupling Size
In stock at $1.75 Each

6739K64
Straight Through Coolant Hose Coupling Sleeve-Lck Sckt X Barb for 1/2" Hose ID, 3/8" Cplg Sz
In stock at $6.01 Each

Which I will want to use, I will have the sketch up the options to see what is the best deal/most flexible. Is there a reason I do not want QD's on the Fermentor?

High temp tubing from kettle to pump to chiller than normal siphon line to the fermenter seems reasonable right?

Thanks in advance...

why do you think there will be too much mold in a fridge?

I just ordered a 14.5 and will be keeping it cool inside a temp controlled fridge. Never had a mold problem with it while using carboys in it, and I can say Im sure it wont start with a conical. Best way too cool it I think other than going jacketed.

Its 90% humidity here in the rainy season, my clothes mold if I do not run the dehumidifer in the closet 2x per week. So I was thinking the cool but not cold fridge would mold up like a closed ice chest would..??

I'd think a fridge would be no problem as far as mold if you keep the inside clean and sanitized. Give the inside a good cleaning then wipe down the inside with a chlorine bleach solution and that should do the trick. Mold needs both moisture and food (wood, paper, cloth, ect.) to grow by keeping the inside clean and sanitary you deny the mold a foods source. A fridge is by far the most effecient way to go. A walk-in fermentation closet is another way, Here you can use both an A/C and dehumidifier if need be.

If you are getting a Blichmann, you can rack (transfer) without a pump because you can rack up to a 6' head by using pressure from a CO2 tank if you have access to that down there.

And yes the ball valves are 1/2" female

Yeah I have a CO2 tank I was thinking the pump for filling the unit.

For the bottom valve what do most people do, seems like this is just for draining trub and yeast, but crap might get in the threads, do you just put a length of 1/2 all thread in there so its smooth on the inside or just clean it before and after with a toothbrush or something.

Thanks!

Back