Chances of infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluedragoon85

Reaction score
Ok, I kinda got stuck in a very n00b situation and might have ended up with an infected batch :( The thing is me and my brewing buddy were set to brew this past thursday, but the day got kinda crazy because we both had things to do and so we ended up brewing at 10 PM (we both had to get up early to work the next day). So, to cut it short, we were short on time and on a hurry. I boiled my extra 3 gallons of water to add to the fermenter 1 hour previous to brewing and so I left it in gallon containers in the fridge so they would cool. When we were done brewing I hydrated my dried yeast as we cooled the hot wort. I was dumb and careless and didn't notice until after I hydrated my yeast that my water was still hot even though it had been over 2 hours in the fridge. I couldn't wait any longer for the water to cool as we were pretty short on time, so I ended up adding the wort and water to the fermenter and I left my hydrated yeast covered up (it was in a glass container with plastic wrap on top) and left it at room temperature so it would be ready to pitch first thing in the morning (at around 6 am). I know I probably should have left the yeast in the fridge but then I would have had to wait for it to warm up in the morning so I just crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. So, I was dumb and learned my lesson (if there isn't much time, then don't brew till next time). Does this sound like a recipee for infection? :confused:

Not really. You will probably be OK. I've done something similar and everything worked out fine.

Thanks for the reply. I sure hope I'm ok, but only time can tell I guess. The C02 excapping the airlock smells similar to that of previous batches, so that kinda puts me at ease, but then, who knows what it will taste like.

Back