Pictures of your Hop Babies/Hop Photo Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKBrew

Reaction score
Looks like some of you have started to plant, build trellises, etc... I think a Hop Photo thread is in order showing your little green bundles of joy as they grow up.

I haven't planted yet, but figured I'd start the thread for the rest of you.

Lol, I could show a picture of a seemingly vacant pot of miracle grow, but I guess I won't. I wish I had taken a picture of the rhizomes, though, very cool looking.

Mine should be popping up any week now out here. They'll get to about 10' by May and then the June desert heat will bake them to a crisp :(.

Mine are in pots and popping up while the hop yard is experiencing a complete re-design. I gotta get done with it fast. These that are popping are second year and they'll be growing like crazy.

2329653403_f9ba630e55.jpg

New Hallertauer Tradition shoots. This plant in it's first year was the least productive and was thought to be lost but it held on and is now in first place with respect to vigourous growth. I use spent grain as mulch.

2330479286_0afe5b4630.jpg

These are hard to see. 2 Cascade shoots just barely coming through. Look like two brown dot near the center of the image. This plant in it's first season produced nearly 8 Ounces dried cones.

2329652737_0614331720_b.jpg

Their Old Home amidst a redo. Completely reworking the plot. The poles are to be the supports for the trellis system clothesline. I still have the raised bed sides to install and backfill and a backup guy wire support system. For scale: The fence is 6 foot tall (typical) above natural grade.

The third pot contains a Kent Golding or, now to be known as an OK Golding. It has one solitary bine just beginning to poke through the surface.

Hey good luck from a fellow okie on the setup and the Hallertauer, I just bought 10 rhizomes to start this year and really wanted some Hallertauer but didn't think they would work here in Ok. Maybe I'll have to get some.

Okiebrewer said:
Hey good luck from a fellow okie on the setup and the Hallertauer, I just bought 10 rhizomes to start this year and really wanted some Hallertauer but didn't think they would work here in Ok. Maybe I'll have to get some.

Never really know til' you try.

I too picked up another 10 to bring this years total up to 13. Amidst the numbers is also a Hallertau Magnum.:fro:

Got Bines B!tches!!!!!!

hops-griff025.jpg

hops-griff028.jpg

The photos were taken ~ 15 minutes apart. The angle is odd, but I'd almost swear that they have grown between the 2..........

(cascade ahead by a nose, northern brewer in the foreground)

No pictures as it is raining, but the Cascade, Fuggle & Northern Brewer have shoots. Maybe 1/2 inch high, still in the purple stage. The Cascade has about a dozen shoots, just like last year. It's a bear to keep under control.

Edit -Cascade, these are about 1/4 of the total shoots on the plant this year.

img_1459.jpg

I now have Cascade, Fuggle, Northern Brewer, Perle, Willamette and Mt. Hood shoots. Only Nuggett and Sunbeam to go. If I can get some T19, the Sunbeam is out.

FishinDave07 said:
Cascade & Willamette baby! With some Goldings and Sterling to come :rockin:

P3300004.jpg

Love it, dude! I'm a first-time hop-grower this year, and I'll be keeping a keen eye on any posts of yours...because I got 6 rhizomes to start; 3 williamette, and 3 cascade! :mug:

(I'm living in an apartment with no garden space, so I'm utilizing my parents' garden near their deck where a rhododendron previously thrived like crazy; seems like the perfect place for a hop harvest...

I'll contribute to these photos when I plant (possibly this weekend, but most likely next weekend, since I too am in the Philly 'burbs and read the last frost should be clear by april 14th)

FishinDave07 said:
Cascade & Willamette baby! With some Goldings and Sterling to come :rockin:

P3300004.jpg

They look much better than the ones I got from freshhops. Only one of the cascades had a small shoot coming out. The other 3 (cascade and 2 Mt hood) didn't show anything. I got impatient after having them in a pot for a week and there was no change. I think they sent me duds :(. I moved the pot from the 50F basement into the 60F house now. Hopefully this will speed things up.

Kai

Kaiser said:
They look much better than the ones I got from freshhops. Only one of the cascades had a small shoot coming out. The other 3 (cascade and 2 Mt hood) didn't show anything. I got impatient after having them in a pot for a week and there was no change. I think they sent me duds :(. I moved the pot from the 50F basement into the 60F house now. Hopefully this will speed things up.

Kai

They look better than mine too (I pre-ordered mine from Midwest too). I got 6 cascades, all were thin 5" straight sections, no branching or knots. 4 had 1 or 2 two inch shoots, the other two had only 1 or 2 tiny white buds but no shoots.

reshp1 said:
They look better than mine too (I pre-ordered mine from Midwest too). I got 6 cascades, all were thin 5" straight sections, no branching or knots. 4 had 1 or 2 two inch shoots, the other two had only 1 or 2 tiny white buds but no shoots.
I got mine from a local homebrew shop, I live in CT (got my stuff from Maltose if anybody's around the area), and my rhizomes also look a lot more like little twigs than those goddamn monstrosity rhizomes in the above picture. Hopefully they didn't sell me lame roots. =(

Here's what mine look like as of this morning:

Crystal, the happiest of the bunch right now:
crystal.jpg

Mt. Hood:
mthood.jpg

Cascade #1:
casc1.jpg

Cascade #2:
casc2.jpg

BlackTopSoil.JPG

ok not really my soil but I have 8 of the 10 in the ground, and it looks awfully similar :)

Evan! your babies are looking great!

joed123 said:
Love it, dude! I'm a first-time hop-grower this year, and I'll be keeping a keen eye on any posts of yours...because I got 6 rhizomes to start; 3 williamette, and 3 cascade! :mug:

(I'm living in an apartment with no garden space, so I'm utilizing my parents' garden near their deck where a rhododendron previously thrived like crazy; seems like the perfect place for a hop harvest...

I'll contribute to these photos when I plant (possibly this weekend, but most likely next weekend, since I too am in the Philly 'burbs and read the last frost should be clear by april 14th)

wow those look good...the ones I got from midwest didnt look that good

Well, here's a nice 2-fer:

I received my Sterling & Goldings

P4030012.jpg

AND one of my Cascade shoots broke the soil

P4020009.jpg

Days like these...:tank:

I could have been dreaming, but I swear one of my Centennials broke after 2 days, but it looks nothing like everyone's pics, so I doubt it :(

Ok, seriously, why does everyone elses Rhizomes look better then mine. They just showed up about 20min ago and will get planted tomorrow..ill post more pictures
..These are some sad looking little guys.

Arneba28 said:
Ok, seriously, why does everyone elses Rhizomes look better then mine. They just showed up about 20min ago and will get planted tomorrow..ill post more pictures
They look fine to me

They are super thin. No sprouting or schutes on the Magnum or the Willamette, just one sprout on the Centennial. I was thinking I was going to get a small bundle or atleast something with a few sprouts

Quick update: In a matter of hours (about 6 hours) 3 new shoots came up from the cascade. These boogers grow quick!!!!

The LHBS got the rhizomes in yesterday and I picked them up after work today. They are already in soil! :ban:I picked up 2 Cascade and 2 Willamette. The Willamette ones already had bines growing, one of them has 4 or 5 a couple inches long before they even got planted. I'll have some pictures soon... :)

I don't know how to post pics but my Nugget is close to 5':mug: and my centennial is about 3':) and the rest are slow.(2nd year)
Jack

Arneba28 said:

Your rhizomes could probably beat up my rhizomes. My Cascade look like that kid in school that everyone picked on.

My Sunbeam has finally broken ground, so I'm 8 for 8 (mainly 3rd year). It looks like more cold & wet coming, so I'm not expecting much in the way of growth until May.

Mine have been in the ground for a week, and nothing. I have 7 varieties planted. Of course, my soil quality isn't quite the best (should be OK), and it has been a little chilly here (20's--40's) on average. Today it's going to get into the 60's and sunny, so I'm hopeful.

I went so far as to dig down to a couple of the rhizomes the other day to make sure they're still alive--all seemed to be with the Willamette's having some buds growing on it.

I hope they don't croak, that's all.

Ours have broken through! I'm sure with all the rain we've had up here in the last few days and the warm weather to come we'll have some great pictures to post by the end of the week...

my little guys are in. a few more things to put up, like a fence that resembles a fence and some black plastic dividers to separate the lawn from the garden. Hopefully they will take off in a few weeks.:ban:

oh left to right, Magnum, Centennial, Willamette

Well, I was right about the warm day we had today. I watered them lightly twice, let the sun shine down. . .and now my Sterling, Magnums, Goldings, and Wilamette are sprouting buds!! The Magnums had two shoots, and like an idiot all excited, I had to touch one and broke it off at the soil. The other one looks good though! I'll post pics when they get a bit more impressive. Right now I feel like a new dad all over again. *proud* Now if only my other 3 varieties sprout. . .

And, a good friend of mine agreed to let me plant in his yard as well. . . so I have 8more rhizomes on the way as of today!

quickerNu said:
After 7 days in the soil, Centennial broke ground today: before Cascade and Nugget!
hopday1.jpg
Lucky. I have 2 centennials and 2 chinooks, the centennials haven't shown yet (after 7 days in pots).

Back