Rhubarb wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feralciderbird

Reaction score
Hi, i'm looking for a rhubarb wine recipe - have never made wine before, only beer & cider (and the cider only at the brewing place in town), I have no idea where to start, I do have some dextrose and yeast and tons of eggs (and rhubarb), not sure if you'd need egg whites for rhubarb wine anyway??? I'm new at this, hope i've posted in the right spot. urmmmm.... help....cheers

Maybe this is showing my noobie status, but egg whites?

Search the forums, specifically the recipe database. You may find what you're looking for, or enough information to wing your own or alter an existing recipe. Also search Jack Keller's site, he has tons of stuff available.

Yooper has her recipe posted in the recipe database under the wine section. I would use her tried and true recipe over anything else you might find. I don't know anyone who uses egg whites anymore.

Welcome to HBT!

Cool, thanks I found the recipe from Yooper, along with other natty looking ones too. I'll try that (as soon as I can find some montrachet yeast). I've worked at a few wineries in my area (I'm at a little town called margaret river in Western Australia) and they generally use frozen egg whites or isinglass to fine the white wines, but I'm not really sure why exactly? (i worked in admin obviously! :) )

Well, that's true, egg whites have been used as finings, as well as SuperKleer, isinglass, etc.

Most wines don't need finings if you give them enough time. I recommend the rhubarb wine recipe (I got most of it from Jack Keller's website, with just a few changes), since that wine was one of my all-time favorites. It's crisp and fruity when left dry, and a great table wine. You could sweeten it if you like a sweeter wine, of course. That wine really clears nicely, especially if you use the pectic enzyme.

thanks yooper, I can't seem to get any montrachet yeast here, but I've got my hands on some champagne yeast, which I'll give a go. - Will let you know how it turns out.

For a rhubarb, I would try a Cote De Blanc. That strain is said to preserve the "Floral notes"...sounds about right...Champagne is all basically the same. The Blanc may not get as dry though.

Yooper...does this sound about right to you?

Yes, that would be a good choice, but champagne would be ok too.

I'd also think that Lalvin 71B-1122 would be an excellent choice. I don't think any of them would be a bad choice!

Back