Let's Talk Pool Tables

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdwj

Reaction score
So, my basement is getting close to being complete and it's time to start thinking about filling it with junk! I've always liked playing pool and was thinking about getting a table.

Here is what I know I want:

• Slate
  • 8 ft.
  • ping pong top
  • good looks

I took a look at a Brunswick dealer yesterday and they are fairly expensive, but the quality seems to be there. I've also looked up some local dealers from Craig's list and they seem to be better priced, but they don't carry brands I'm familiar with. There are also a bunch of used options.

Seems that new tables have felt, bumper, stick and ball quality options. Are those worth the additional cost?

Also, it seems to me that I should probably get a pro to install this thing. That usually comes free with new tables. Any idea what I'm looking at to get a used table moved and set up?

Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

I look at things like pool tables the way I look at computers or brewing equipment. You can ALWAYS spend more, unless your Bill Gates, so you figure out what your budget is, then get the very best that you can for that budget.

That being said, think of things like the cues like you would add-ons to a brew sculpture. Spend the initial money on the table, and just get some cheap cues to get you by for now. Later you will want to get yourself a nice cue, then you can leave the cheap ones for the kids, or for your drunk buddies when they come over to play and mooch free beer off of you.

rdwj said:
Seems that new tables have felt, bumper, stick and ball quality options. Are those worth the additional cost?

Also, it seems to me that I should probably get a pro to install this thing. That usually comes free with new tables. Any idea what I'm looking at to get a used table moved and set up?

Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

I was lucky in that my father gave me his table and it had a lot of stuff w/ it.

However, I did upgrade the balls etc. I think that yes it is worth the upgrade.
Couple of questions, how much use will it get, do you have kids, will you get rowdy while playing etc.

If you answered yes to 1 or more of those questions, then you may want to look at a durable felt, some of the higher quality felt isnt as thick (think fast) thus it doesnt last as long.

I purchased Brunswick Centential Balls. I really like the look of them. It was about 200.00. Sticks, you can find good "house" cues for relatively cheap. I have a stick that I use that isnt "house"

It will run you about 300-400.00 to have the table moved, leveled, and set up. Honestly, it will be the best money you ever spent. Sure you can do it, but one slip w/ the slate, and you are done for. I watched the guy set mine up and it was like a science.

Good luck!

buckrogers71 said:
ICouple of questions, how much use will it get, do you have kids, will you get rowdy while playing etc.

Ya, I have two kids - almost 3 and 5. They're rather young to play at this point, but I'm sure they will be into it eventually. I assume the table will get moderate use, both as a pool table and a fort. I'll play some on the weekends and when I have people over.

Here you go, Rd - they've got the perfect table for you!

46.jpg

Connelly Pool tables are also high quality. I grew up with a Brunswick but I've played on these too and they have a wide range of tables. Made here locally so I gotta represent.

www.connellybilliards.com

I bought a used Connelly table this summer from Craigslist. It was there low end table, but it's a high end company, like Brunswick. Go with a reputable name, but you can go with one of their more economical models.

Absolutely pay to have a pro move/setup the new table. I was amazed watching the guy tear it down at the seller's house and reassemble in mine. I'm a pretty handy guy, and after seeing it done I could probably redo mine if I had to, but it was worth every penny to have a pro do it. I think it was about $300 for disassembly, moving it about 45 miles, and reassembly.

rdwj said:
Ya, I have two kids - almost 3 and 5. They're rather young to play at this point, but I'm sure they will be into it eventually. I assume the table will get moderate use, both as a pool table and a fort. I'll play some on the weekends and when I have people over.

More importantly, their boyfriends will want to play pool. Don't underestimate the power of having the cool hang-out house. More than anything else it means that no one's going to try playing anything other than pool with your girls AND that no one's driving them around anywhere. You have an awesome basement that'd hold a nice table.

Go to American Sales. That's where my folks got theirs. Nice 1" slate top, and it came with a real cheap set of sticks, balls, and a stick holder. Or upgrade that to some nice custom sticks.

My dad was a pool-hustler back in the day. His Herman Rambo cue stick was originally presented to Jackie Gleason as a design model (for the stick he later had with semi-precious stones, etc). He got a nice table for a good price from American Sales.

Go with a trusted place. It's a major piece of furniture that you really won't want to move or mess with once it's in place.

rdwj said:

Even at 3 and 5, if you let them, they will want to roll the balls etc. My kids (8 and 5) play all the time. Not well but, they play. I have a heavier felt that can take some abuse. Just something to think about when you go looking.

In a couple of years I will have to replace it when I do, I'll probably get something that plays a little faster.

Rhoobarb said:
Did you look at Cue-N-Cushion on 75th in Woodridge? They have free delivery and set up. All they sell is tables and bar stuff!

Pretty nice stuff!

So far, I've been to Suite Play and American Sales. My BIL just informed me that he has a contact who specializes in putting together tricked-out basements. I guess he sells her all of her gaming systems. She says she can get me whatever I want, so I'm going to have to have a chat with her.

Back