should there be this sludge at the bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rvaladez34

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch this past Friday. I ended up with less volume than I planned, so I'm thinking it might be strong. Fermentation started fast and looked to be going strong, then this sludge started forming at the bottom. It used to be more now it has decreased. I'm thinking it's the malt extract. But is this normal? It seems like a lot. Maybe it won't be very strong after all. Any words if wisdom/advice for next time?

ForumRunner_20130213_223635.jpg

ForumRunner_20130213_223656.jpg

Yeah just seemed like a lot. So is it the sugar from the malt extract? I thought the trub would just consist of yeast that had flocculated and hops

It's not sugar. It's yeast, break material, and hop debris. It should continue to compact and settle.

Given the usual 3 week fermentation/clean up time,it should compact more. you've got trub,cold break,& yeast down their. I had 1L of that on the bottom of the last batch I did in my Cooper's micro brew FV,& it compacted down to about 3/8" over the 3 weeks it was in primary.
Time & patience are virtues in home brewing.

Totally normal. It will compact a lot over the next 3 weeks. If you cold crash it (chill to sub 40*) for a couple days before you rack it will compact even more and you drop any remaining sediment out of solution for a nice clean beer.

Do not cold crash until you are certain you have reach FG.

I was planning on racking to a secondary after 7 days. Do you think it's better not to rack, or maybe keep it in primary for 14 days and then rack to a secondary for 7?

I generally do not seconadary but that is a matter of preference also. If you want to secondary I would do the 14/7 schedule. Also, make sure you have hit your FG before you rack off the yeast cake regardless of the timeline.

The beer should def be at FG before racking to anything. I like to give it 3-7 days after FG is stable to let it clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty before bottling. Secondarys aren't really needed if you're not oaking or adding fruit or something.

Back