Home brewing in Japan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SanktGallen really loves to make fruit beers huh? Orange, Pineapple, and Apple. Does anyone have any tips on buying fruit cheap in Japan? I wouldn't mind making a country wine or fruit beer if the price is right! Grapes are crazy expensive when I see them at the super, as are berries (blackberry, raspberry, currents...). Apples seem to be cheaper at the moment, maybe a cider would be cheap enough if I buy a case of them? Does anyone know of a farmers market type place to purchase bulk fruit? Is there somewhere that the "ugly" fruit gets sold? At the supermarket every fruit seems to be hand polished with not a speck of scab or blemish, so they must be sorting them for use in bakeries/processing somewhere right? When I have looked online at Advanced Brewing, their wine kits are always sold out so I don't know what to do for a "base" wine even if I do get some fruits...

I'll admit that some people kinda look at me funny when I buy 21 1-liter packs of 100% apple juice at the local super for my Apfelwein. And I get different looks when I repack them into a box and strap it on the back of my moped.

I'd definitely welcome apple juice by the gallon at prices like what's in the states.

In response to your question, I think you'd want to go directly to the farmer. My wife's family usually sells off all the good-looking stuff and keeps the funny looking stuff (like twin carrots entwined around each other like...). I'm sure they'd be happy to sell it if there was a market. Maybe JA can find what you need... Hmmm... Food, er, drink for thought...

I'll admit that some people kinda look at me funny when I buy 21 1-liter packs of 100% apple juice at the local super for my Apfelwein. And I get different looks when I repack them into a box and strap it on the back of my moped.

I'd definitely welcome apple juice by the gallon at prices like what's in the states.

Fermenting two gallons of apfelwein now.

How much are you spending for a 1 liter pack? I know there are no Costcos in Tokushima, but if you're ever in Amagasaki, they sell two one gallon packs for ~¥1,000.

Brendan, the Shin-sugita costcos had, the last time I went,

Fresh raspberries, 340 grams, 628 yen
Fresh strawberries, 907 grams, 898 yen
Frozen strawerries, 2.72 kilograms, 1068 yen
Apple juice, two packs of 3.78 litres, 1088 yen
Honey, 2.26 kilograms, 1578 yen

JiBiru8 said:

How much are you spending for a 1 liter pack? I know there are no Costcos in Tokushima, but if you're ever in Amagasaki, they sell two one gallon packs for ~¥1,000.

On sale, as cheap as ¥100 yen, but as much as 150 when not on sale. Usually get it for 120-130 per pack. I budget 2800-3400 per batch.

Added a mixed berry juice they had, 20% of total, for my last batch. It was pretty good.

JiBiru8 said:

Cheapest seen was ¥100. Usually, if on sale, it's about ¥120-130. I budget 2800-3400 per batch.

Added a mixed 100% berry juice they had last time for 20 %. It is good. The previous one I tried with a mixed peach blend. It was so-so.

I will def hit up Costco near Sugita again. I am lucky my employer makes a weekly trip there so I can just tag along when we get supplies for the cafe. The frozen berries are great there for the price, I never noticed the apple juice there before I will check it out next time!

I like the idea of contacting farmers directly to get the fruit before it gets an industrial coating of wax. (I Had a beautiful giant 900gm apple sitting on the top of my fridge for 3 1/2 months; was crisp and juicy as the day it was picked when I finally scrubbed the wax off and ate it!)

OppamaBrendan said:
I like the idea of contacting farmers directly to get the fruit before it gets an industrial coating of wax. (I Had a beautiful giant 900gm apple sitting on the top of my fridge for 3 1/2 months; was crisp and juicy as the day it was picked when I finally scrubbed the wax off and ate it!)

Oh, is THAT why everyone peels everything here...?!

Hi guys! I'm at Incheon Airport in Seoul and heading to Tokyo tonight.

Bringing a couple pounds of hops to giveaway on behalf of bruhahops.com.

If your going to be around Tokyo or Yokohama, send me a message. Maybe we can meet at Baird, Devilcraft or something along those lines.

I'll be around until January 5th. No promise how long the hops will last.

Look forward to meeting some of you guys.

Ian
[email protected]

I have most of those days off (I am working today though), let me know when you might head down to Yokohama and I can meet you for a pint! Right now you can still get some of the brewmasters nightmare rye IPA at Baird I think, good stuff!
Cheers,
B

Well I know what I will be making sometime next year. :ban:

Yokohama Brewery offering free tastings of their pale ale at SOGO. The guy from Yokohama Brewery who is giving the tasting is also one of their brewers, there was a Fukada-san and another guy. Never thought I'd be able to talk about brewing while pretending to be working :p

bruhahops said:
Hi guys! I'm at Incheon Airport in Seoul and heading to Tokyo tonight.

Bringing a couple pounds of hops to giveaway on behalf of bruhahops.com.

If your going to be around Tokyo or Yokohama, send me a message. Maybe we can meet at Baird, Devilcraft or something along those lines.

I'll be around until January 5th. No promise how long the hops will last.

Look forward to meeting some of you guys.

Ian
[email protected]

Tokyo? Nah, kyoto rocks. You need to come to Kansai with those hops!

Okay I have to admit I love watching my airlock bubble away. I have a porter that has been bubbling for four days now. Just so enjoyable watching it go. Thinking of opening a beer and pulling up a chair.

mpearce said:
Okay I have to admit I love watching my airlock bubble away. I have a porter that has been bubbling for four days now. Just so enjoyable watching it go. Thinking of opening a beer and pulling up a chair.

You should brew! Watch it during your lag time...

Think about 3-4 bubbling away...

@JiBiru8

I'm staying in Ota, but spending most of my days toolin around the city. I think we'll be in Harajuku tomorrow. Send me an email if you want a few oz. and we can link up.

[email protected]

Wish I could do more traveling around the county. Hopefully next time around!

Hope you all had a good new years! We walked out to Nojima island (3 bridges connect it) and watched the fireworks. After, visited the temple/shrine there where they had a mikoshi, bonfire, free sake and amazake, oshizuko with mochi, and yakitori. Hung out and chatted with the old Ojisans until 2 in the morning, they were still offering us free beer and sake even then. Ojisans love a festival!

@oppamabrenden - Thanks for showing us around Yokohama last night! Had a great time and enjoyed some awesome beers!

Hi Guys! Happy New Year!
I putting together a specialty grain buy in the Kansai area, but others a re welcome to join in. Prices should be pretty good. I imagine it will end up about 250 or so yen a kilo, not including shipping to your place. Definitely cheaper than online. Keep in mind that specialty malts will keep a good long time.

C15
C40
Chocolate Malt
C150 (checking on this availability, AB does not have this in stock)
Vienna (one bag is already split and spoken for, but if enough guys want in...)

Kilogram increments.

Scott

Happy new year everyone. I just got back from an extended snow vacation and haven't brewed anything in a few weeks... looking at next weekend to do a Scotch Ale.
Hope everyone is having a good year so far!

I now have 10 litre polyethylene bottles for fermenting in.

715352079.jpg

Hello all,
I was just surfing around HBTF and stumbled upon this. Glad to see some other home brewers in Japan. I keg my beer and was curious if any of you have a place where you go to get your CO2 bottles refilled?
Thanks, 12ozrebel

Local liquor shop... 5000 yen one time deposit and just swap the tanks when you need a refill. I think I get 5kg for 2500 yen. I don't know if this is cheap or not. I like to give the guy business, even though I'm guessing he doesn't make much from gas.

Just brewed my fourth brew, a nice looking English IPA. Its a More Beer extract kit. Looks great and smells great. In a week I will put in the oak chips. Waiting to try my porter I have been bottle conditioning. It will be ready next week.

Thanks for the info on where to get CO2. Well, with the snow we received yesterday I got out of work early and was able to keg my IPA and I brewed a Northwest Passage Ale. Ready for more snow!

JiBiru8 said:
I made an igloo yesterday with all the snow!

I think you might be on to something... The first person to ever brew in an igloo... (and I'm not talkin' coolers, here)

tektonjp said:
If you watch Yahoo auctions, you can sometimes pick up a single tap beer server for pretty cheap. You don't have to go the Corny keg route.

And a double tap isn't much more!

Mine came with Kirin heads. I don't use them and planned on selling them, but instead use the adapters that were attached to them.

And a double tap isn't much more!

Mine came with Kirin heads. I don't use them and planned on selling them, but instead use the adapters that were attached to them.

Do you mind posting pics of your setup?

And anyone else who kegs, I'm very interested in what you have going on!

JiBiru8 said:
Do you mind posting pics of your setup?

And anyone else who kegs, I'm very interested in what you have going on!

I don't mind. Give me a few days and I'll post something to the Japan group. Someone else might beat me to it, though...

I don't mind. Give me a few days and I'll post something to the Japan group. Someone else might beat me to it, though...

Awesome, thanks. Looking forward to it. I bottled a batch this morning, and even with my wife helping, it's not the most fun thing to do.

Ah yes, bottling is a pain in the butt, my dog always wants to drop her ball and bowl over a few whenever we would bottle. Any of you guys been to Cafe Hopman in Chigasaki? We are supposed to meet some friends there on Monday but after looking at the prices Im not so sure, I'd much rather go to Yokohama and hit all the Tap rooms around there and not go broke drinking beer.
12oz

Back